[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
FormelLMS

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by FormelLMS » February 8th, 2021, 7:49 am

Ok, great. Please take your time. I don't know if it's possible for me to check before weekend.
detourist

Post by detourist » February 8th, 2021, 2:23 pm

I wanted to say thank you for this topic! It really provides the best graphics in relation to performance.

I was even able to cure some forest area FPS drops from 60 to about 45 with the smaller single monitor setup. I adapted it to use 80% height. With that I'm "safe" in most places.

But I wonder, if it was the complexity of the scenery, that caused the drops. Do the black bars take load off the AA? Would I technically be able to achieve the same result if I widen the cabin FOV, so that there is overall less forest visible, but more of the (more consistent) cabin interior? I will try that out.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 8th, 2021, 3:32 pm

@detourist - I'd almost forgot about the 'smaller' files...
The black bars are unrendered screen area and therefore increase your fps.
The trees are the biggest problem especially in new dlc areas where SCS group a lot of them together.
As we're forcing AA on the whole screen regardless of the objects in view (in game AA could apply AA to just the objects that require it and therefore increase fps) the trees have 'a lot' of AA requirements.

Lower FOV will loose the extra stuff at the sides but it also brings forward the distance objects, you'll see more detail/bigger objects closer to you and so won't really help, i don't think.
What will help and probably won't require to use the 'smaller' file, for you:
Use the standard single.
Use config.cfg vsync=2 on 60hz monitor that will limit fps to 30 and not 60.
The cpu then only has to generate 30 frames per second instead of 60 and the gpu then only has to render a max of 30.
You'll say, i hate 30 it's horrible, but do it and drive and don't think about it.
Years ago i did that and after an hour i'd forgotten all about it (don't display fps on screen) and reallise that i'd had no stutters/frame drop etc. Just smooth driving. This isn't a racing game where 60 is a must.
Give it a try!
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 8th, 2021, 3:42 pm

@detourist

I've done that with my GTX1660Ti card for a long time now too and it works so good.
And don't forget to set the config.cfg parameter t_averaging_window_length to at
least a value of double the limited frame rate, for me it's "60"!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm

@FormelLMS - Please test and report back when you can. Thanks.
Single ultra wide curved monitor AA setup - (using triple image with reduced side angles) (Updated 08/02/2021).
viewtopic.php?p=20550#p20550
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
detourist

Post by detourist » February 9th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Appreciate your advice, thanks for the explanation.

I understand that I am priviledged compared to many other players.

You know, it feels like missing out, when most of the map gives 60 FPS, even with 100% height. Personally I think I'll stick with the "widescreen" (80-90% height), and simply avoid the most difficult areas. The map is big enough. – On the other hand, going straight down to 30 FPS, and cranking up other settings even more sounds tempting. ;)

Hm, if only there was some kind of adaptive AA. I'd rather have that drop a little, but keep the frames. – But I totally see why 4x/4x is the recommended setting. Going down to 2x SGSSAA already brings back the shimmering in the lines on the roads. I understand that texture filtering sharpens surfaces, when I look from a sharp angle. That applies to roads, right? Personally I'd rather have the road surfaces blurred, if the lines shimmer less.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 9th, 2021, 12:14 pm

@detourist

Just for the record. The shimmering of the road lines has NOTHING to do with level of AA. It is caused by the fact
that the lines are a texture layered flat on top of the road surface, thereby giving the game engine a problem of
deciding, when moving, which texture is on top and hence alternate rendering and shimmering.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
detourist

Post by detourist » February 9th, 2021, 1:15 pm

BenganJ wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 12:14 pm
The shimmering of the road lines has NOTHING to do with level of AA.
Oh! – Then I fell for a placebo effect.

What about the shimmering on traffic light posts?

So, if I am satisfied with the level of 2x AA, I will get used to the shimmering road lines as well. :D
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 9th, 2021, 2:20 pm

@detourist

You should use what you feel is right for you. Of course there are difference between 2x and 4x AA,
no question about that, but there are also still shimmering even if you got 8x AA, that's only what I
wanted to tell. Like the case when two textures are placed flat on top of each other, some of them
are inherent in roads, models and prefabs and some are wrongly placed that way by mappers. You
also have the glass window shimmering on e.g. buildings when moving, it's probably some bad light
processing that causes them, maybe fixed in the new light system of 1.40. AA is about getting jagged
edges on objects properly displayed. And road lines also have edges, hence processed by the AA
methods. So, it's NOT a total placebo effect you see.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm

@Road Runner

Are you back into these games again? I'm seeing you quite often here nowadays! :good: