[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
ilganna

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by ilganna » February 7th, 2023, 11:25 am

Hi all,

first of all, thank you for these detailed instructions, with NPI and AA on, the game is really looking sharp :good2:

I have a small issue however, I'm sure I followed step-by-step the guide and also tried to recreate the NPI profile from the scratch several times, but unfortunatly it seems that the small mirror (on top of the big one - I am a left hand driver) on the left side of my truck (ETS2 - Scania, but alse checked with other brands on the truck dealership), doesn't seems to have AA on: the resolution is bad, like it is set at 50% of the native resolution with blocky pictures. I made sure many times that mirror resolution is set to medium (checked ingame and on config file), however no dice.

The big mirror still on the left side, has AA on, seems also that AA is applied on both right side mirrors (small and big). Don't understand why only this small mirror is acting weird.
With ATS, while I did not tested extensively, it seems that all mirrors are fine with AA applied.

Just to give you some more details, I'm running ETS2/ATS in a triple screen setup (using the Multimon file "Triple Monitor AA setup with reduced left/right monitor angles config V5 [angle I'm using is 22.5°]" adjusting only the bezel correction - no other changes to the file).

Resolution is 7680x1440 (3x 2560x1440 144hz 27" monitors)
Ryzen 9 5950x
32GB DDR-4 3200MHz
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Ti AMP Holo
1TB Samsung Nvme Drive (3000+MB/s read and write).

As I have a capable/powerhouse pc to run on my resolution at steady 60 fps, I don't want to waste unecessary GPU watts (with 4x AA it is drawing 330Watts+) for not life-changing improvements; so I set the AA as

2x [2x Multisampling]
2x Sparse Grid Supersampling
and locked the framerate to 60FPS.

With that I'm reaching ~180watts-220watts of GPU power draw while keeping the smooth 60 fps.

If I will increase the AA to 4x, it seems that the small left mirror resolution is getting better and probably AA is applied, but if anybody has the willing to reduce AA to 2x and give it a try, just let me know if you're incurring the in same issue as me.

I'm unable produce screenshots/pictures at this very moment, but will do this evening as soon as I'm a home.

Thanks,

Ilg.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 7th, 2023, 5:54 pm

@ilganna - It seems to be a common theme at the moment, no AA on small mirror, look back at the last few pages.

Don't waste you time with screenshots.

All I can say is, that if you see AA applied to any mirror then your mirror settings are correct as we don't specify which mirror to apply AA to. SCS must be making some changes that perhaps cause that small mirror to not be scaled at 100% when using medium, like all the others are, but then if you see AA with 4x it must be 100% scaled...

I use 2xAA because I have old hardware otherwise I would be 4xAA all the time.
I guess your 1440 monitors look less blocky compared to 1080 to start with, hence why you don't think 4x is worth it.

Perhaps you're using a mod truck? Or does it change depending if you use standard mirrors or physics mirrors (g_phys_mirrors 1)?

Nice to see someone using my ready made multimon's!

Oh and it's a happy 3rd birthday to this DX11 NPI AA (February 7th, 2020, 8:50 pm)... too bad we still need it...
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
skyy-v8
PPM

Post by skyy-v8 » February 7th, 2023, 6:07 pm

Hello guys, have been here already for a long time but had a break for a good 1,5 years now. Now I am back with a new 34 inches monitor and a nice gaming rig. My biggest issue is still the shimmering all over the place (power cables in the air, bridges, vegation etc... its really annoying).

Any tweaks I can make more to reduce this a little?

https://gyazo.com/8550b3644d441907fe874d3f84e43c0d
https://gyazo.com/dbb83c9835dc5d878118dc7c363a0140
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4bjkhi5k ... g.txt/file

Thanks for every advice.
ilganna

Post by ilganna » February 7th, 2023, 6:11 pm

@JHTrucker Thank you very much for your kind reply; I tried to look some pages behind, but I probably I missed it, since this thread has 629 pages :D

Forgot to mention that I'm running both games in vanilla mode; no mods or any 3rd party modifications.

Worth mentioning, perhaps if anybody wants to venture on that way, that I'm not using Nvidia surround, as I prefer not switching with hotkeys to enable disable it, messing with my desktop icons position and other minor annoyances, since I also want play other games on the center monitor (on native resolution) and keep multitasking capabilities. I achieved that by creating a custom resolution (with Orbmu2k's Custom DSR tool), and then I use another app named "Borderless Gaming" that "stretches" the game window across the three monitors (you need to keep the game in windowed mode so you don't have to tick the fullscreen checkbox to make it working).

happy birthday to this topic as well, did not notice that ;)

Thanks,

Ilg.

PS: this was the video tutorial I followed to achieve the custom dsr resolution + borderless gaming setup:
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 7th, 2023, 6:28 pm

@ilganna - The topic is older than 3 years, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to notice, but at the point where it became a viable AA option, its 3 years today!

These links are listed in my 'ATS/ETS2 Additional non standard screen configurations...' topic, if they are of interest:
Automatic switching surround and "normal" mode and much more:
https://github.com/terrymacdonald/DisplayMagician
As recommended by Draftlight, a1337cookie & FormelLMS
https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 300#p47300
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 7th, 2023, 6:35 pm

@skyy-v8 - I assume you have Nvidia gpu. If you have and followed steps 1/2/3 in the first post then that should have solved your issues. Read the Q&A section to find out how others mis-followed the required steps.

EDIT:
If you can use 'paste bin' to show your game log within your post and use the 'add image to post' link for NPI settings then I'll take a look as I'd rather not click your current links.

If you're an AMD users, wait for SCS to add proper AA into the game...
Katarsis

Post by Katarsis » February 9th, 2023, 6:45 pm

Hi, ive been using the AA bit 0x80000A7F for a few months and yesterday i tried 0x80000A7B (out of curiosity since it has been a while since i used the one posted in the first page) and it works better for me (GTX1660). Specially ATS looks way better, better results hiding all that shimmering. Just in case someone wants to try it out. I dont know if something changed in later versions of npi or nvidia drivers emselves.

I noticed with the "old" bit that ATS doesnt look that good anymore (probably its my imagination at this point im not sure 100% lol). ETS2 seems to look more or less the same.
ilganna

Post by ilganna » February 10th, 2023, 11:32 am

JHTrucker wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 6:28 pm
@ilganna - The topic is older than 3 years, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to notice, but at the point where it became a viable AA option, its 3 years today!

These links are listed in my 'ATS/ETS2 Additional non standard screen configurations...' topic, if they are of interest:
Automatic switching surround and "normal" mode and much more:
https://github.com/terrymacdonald/DisplayMagician
As recommended by Draftlight, a1337cookie & FormelLMS
https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 300#p47300
@JHTrucker, thank you again for your suggestion, after fiddling a bit with DisplayMagician, I found this app a life saver and it does everything I need: changing automatically resolution and launching a game with the ease of double clicking a shortcut (and even switching back to the original resolution after you're done playing the game) :grin:
Really appreciated all your efforts you've been providing for the community and your continuous dedication/willingness to help others :good2:

I was also able to set NVidia surround to accept a lower resolution (5760x1080 - FullHD on the triple screens - as my monitors supports 1920x1080 resolution without having the "blurring" effect, down from 7680x1440), in order to benefit of the 4x AA without having my 3080ti going over 180-220Watts of power usage (I do not enable the "Prefer Maximum Performance" setting in NCP/NPI due to the fact that then the card will stay at around 330+Watts all the time and electricity price wise, here in Switzerland, arose by 30%)

On a side note I've noticed that with the latest NVidia driver (528.49), VSync, at least when using NVidia surround, isn't working anymore (even if you force it on via NCP or NPI), thus producing the annoying screen tearing. I rolled back driver 528.24 and now VSync works as intended again. Just a word of caution if anybody likes to stay on bleeding edge drivers version.

Thanks
ilg.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 10th, 2023, 6:17 pm

@Katarsis - Did you use my "DX11 NPI AA compatibility bits" topic to find that value?
Post by JHTrucker » October 1st, 2021, 7:39 pm

Whilst I don't want to change the first post value, as it's proved to work in all situations for the past 3 years, I'll add a link to my "bits" topic so others can test them if required (I thought i'd already added one, but can't see it!).

Therefore it might be helpful for you to reply to the "bits" topic with your findings so others can try, if they're not quite satisfied with the current AA results.

The game updates (new lighting) are probably the reason for slight changes in AA quality.

New Q & A added to first post!
Q - AA is working ok, but can it be better?
A - You can try different AA bits that may or may not make a visual difference, look here: https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 616#p46616
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 10th, 2023, 6:19 pm

@ilganna - Glad it was of use. I also linked your post in case that was helpful too.
I try to keep these "nuggets of information" linked...

Your monitors must have "integer scaling"?, I think that prevents blurred images at reduced resolutions.

My GTX760 has a slight stutter if I don't use "max power" as I guess its slow to react to the constant clocking up/down to match the gpu demand. But my max isn't as power hungry as yours!

New Q & A added to first post!
Q - I can't get VSync to work.
A - It may be a driver problem, roll back to an earlier one, unless you need the current one for your latest game.