World Background Maps

Ronin
VIP

Re: World Background Maps

Post by Ronin » June 3rd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Guys,
Begnas has a point of view about de BG map.
And I think he is entitled to have this point of view. Especially since it is a BG map that he has been building.

But when the question is asked, who is right and who is not, this discussion will never end.
But out of respect for Begnan I would like to ask to end this discussion.
Thank you.
Proc: i7-9750H 2,6 GHz (max. 4,5 GHz)
Mem: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS ROG -STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING 6 GB GDDR6
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 3rd, 2020, 9:48 pm

@olaf28

No, that's not correct! I want to have a discussion, that's why I said "feel free to comment"!
I'm just tired of explaining the same things over and over and want a pause right now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
Ronin
VIP

Post by Ronin » June 3rd, 2020, 9:56 pm

Alltight Begnan,
I respect that.
My apologies
Proc: i7-9750H 2,6 GHz (max. 4,5 GHz)
Mem: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS ROG -STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING 6 GB GDDR6
Samartok (NL)
PPM

Post by Samartok (NL) » June 4th, 2020, 12:10 am

To me the concern is not so much whether or not a map lines up on my in-game world map. I can live with PMME swimming in the sea.

My concern is with al the BG's which are used when actually building or rescaling the maps.
Already we see a funky RC between PMME & PT. And with PMME know being in Syria & Iraq, maybe more connection will come in the future.
Now imaging if there are more maps coming to that area.
Maghreb is not yet in the vicinity of Egypt, but we also don't know which way PMME will expend to.
Same for RTA, maybe they come in to the same area when they go further down.
Somebody is already working on a map along the Red Sea towards Sudan, is he using the PM BG? or the one from Bengan?
Maybe even a totally different one, who knows.
3rik
PPM

Post by 3rik » June 4th, 2020, 12:40 am

Samartok (NL) wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 12:10 am
To me the concern is not so much whether or not a map lines up on my in-game world map. I can live with PMME swimming in the sea.

My concern is with al the BG's which are used when actually building or rescaling the maps.
Already we see a funky RC between PMME & PT. And with PMME know being in Syria & Iraq, maybe more connection will come in the future.
Now imaging if there are more maps coming to that area.
Maghreb is not yet in the vicinity of Egypt, but we also don't know which way PMME will expend to.
Same for RTA, maybe they come in to the same area when they go further down.
Somebody is already working on a map along the Red Sea towards Sudan, is he using the PM BG? or the one from Bengan?
Maybe even a totally different one, who knows.
I agree, and this is why there needs to be a standard that everyone agrees on.
In my opinion, that should be SCS. it is the least controversial.
But if someone else makes a standard that everyone can agree on then i dont mind that either.
theclumsygeek
PPM

Post by theclumsygeek » June 4th, 2020, 3:06 am

This is really interesting stuff you guys. Thank you for all the passion and hard work you're pouring into this discussion.

For my simple brain, I'd like to try and see if I understand. And pardon my basic language. I cannot use lambert thingy thingy technical terms as that is beyond me, so I will think of my own nicknames :).
  1. SCS started with a map projection (let's call it SCS-old).
  2. After the ATS rescale, SCS decided to use a different map projection (let's call that SCS-new).
  3. However, the actual BG map of SCS right now as of 1.37 is still using SCS-old.
  4. The assumption/alignment(?) is that SCS will switch their BG map to SCS-new as they expand to farther areas from the center.
  5. The World Background Maps by Bengan uses SCS-new.
  6. ProMods uses SCS-old, +/- a few differences, but this is mainly why ME is consistent with the current BG map of SCS as of 1.37.
Feel free to correct/add.
paokkerkir
PPM

Post by paokkerkir » June 4th, 2020, 3:08 am

You are spot on.
clear F1
VIP

Post by clear F1 » June 4th, 2020, 3:14 am

theclumsygeek wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 3:06 am
This is really interesting stuff you guys. Thank you for all the passion and hard work you're pouring into this discussion.

For my simple brain, I'd like to try and see if I understand. And pardon my basic language. I cannot use lambert thingy thingy technical terms as that is beyond me, so I will think of my own nicknames :).
  1. SCS started with a map projection (let's call it SCS-old).
  2. After the ATS rescale, SCS decided to use a different map projection (let's call that SCS-new).
  3. However, the actual BG map of SCS right now as of 1.37 is still using SCS-old.
  4. The assumption/alignment(?) is that SCS will switch their BG map to SCS-new as they expand to farther areas from the center.
  5. The World Background Maps by Bengan uses SCS-new.
  6. ProMods uses SCS-old, +/- a few differences, but this is mainly why ME is consistent with the current BG map of SCS as of 1.37.
Feel free to correct/add.

Thank you. You can see it in my English reading ability.
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
ASRock X670E Taichi Carrara
DOMINATOR TITANIUM DDR5-7200 32GB
PNY RTX4070Ti 12GB VERTO LED WE
WD m.2 KIOXIA m.2
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 4th, 2020, 3:16 am

@theclumsygeek

And I will break my sort of silence here and say the same as paokkerkir.
You actually took the time to read carefully and therefore you got it so
SPOT ON!

EDIT: DAMN, I'll hire you to post my statements from now on! You made in so few words! Brilliant!

EDIT2: For you that also have ATS, where SCS has also changed the UI BG to the new projection due
to the fact that that area is larger than the ETS2 one, check that out! Also check my ATS BG where I
used that new Lambert Conic projection. Does it fit nicely with the combo of SCS Vanilla, C2C and
Canadream?

EDIT3: SCS and Promods will NEVER produce a UI BG that covers more than what they have produced.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
Samartok (NL)
PPM

Post by Samartok (NL) » June 4th, 2020, 3:27 am

@theclumsygeek

That`s exactly how I understand it also.