[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
tantalus

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by tantalus » September 20th, 2021, 7:45 pm

bt103504 wrote:
September 18th, 2021, 5:54 pm
Is anyone aware of how we could increase the vegetation scenery LOD. I know Oliver outlined a process in the "Graphics related LOD changes in top-most game_data.sii" section that no longer appears to be working. Is there a mod that exists presently that would allow those setting changes to be made (or already have the changes made)?

Thanks!
No, there is nothing we can do to modify the lod distance when the grass and vegetation is spawning. People have been asking for ages.
Same with the landscape sceneario.

In the game_data file from the game are two lines that are supossed to do this for the vegetation:

leaves_lod_start: (240.0, 410.0, 50.0)
leaves_lod_end: (300.0, 460.0, 100.0)

But honestly, it doesnt matter what values you use there, i never EVER noticed any difference at all. Maybe its because there is not really a noticeable difference.
And any mod you find the only thing that will do is to modify these values with no avail, since i said, it doesnt seem to be working since ages ago. Or if it ever did.
Windows 10 xxxx.xxx whatever is the last version... lol.
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming 6Gb
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming 450B
16Gb Corsair RAM
Gaming on a 1TB M2 SDD Seagate.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » September 21st, 2021, 11:24 pm

tantalus wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 7:38 pm
Whaaaaat? sorry dude. A 1650 is waaaay more than enough to run the game at 60fps constant all the time.......
Based on this:
cpu generates each frame.
gpu renders those frames.
gpu then brute forces NPI 4xMSAA on each frame.
It should stand to reason that if the gpu is weak and/or resolution is very high the gpu will not manage both actions at least 60 times a second without turning a lot of the games graphic settings down or off.

But anyway, as this is a help thread, perhaps you could share your NPI and game settings here so that others can also enjoy them. Thanks.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR edits: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
Strega

Post by Strega » September 22nd, 2021, 8:30 am

@bt103504

There are 3 mods from Robinicus that change the vegetation LOD. One is the max setting mentioned in the first post, one is 50% less than max settings and the last is 75% less than max. They are in his workshop on Steam.

This one is max settings and the one I use https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2001007740
t2patel

Post by t2patel » September 22nd, 2021, 12:59 pm

JHTrucker wrote:
September 21st, 2021, 11:24 pm
tantalus wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 7:38 pm
Whaaaaat? sorry dude. A 1650 is waaaay more than enough to run the game at 60fps constant all the time.......
Based on this:
cpu generates each frame.
gpu renders those frames.
gpu then brute forces NPI 4xMSAA on each frame.
It should stand to reason that if the gpu is weak and/or resolution is very high the gpu will not manage both actions at least 60 times a second without turning a lot of the games graphic settings down or off.

But anyway, as this is a help thread, perhaps you could share your NPI and game settings here so that others can also enjoy them. Thanks.
@ JHtrucker

I got your point here.
At present, I am playing ATS in 4k native resolution on 120Hz RR (Monitor: Acer XB273 K GP), lock FPS 60 by using V sync 1/2 in the NPI setting. My graphic is awesome and there is no issue at all. I got the 60 FPS almost all the time except passing through dense jungle roads or hilly roads where the number of trees is more and very high vegetation where my fps is down upto 40 fps. can you please tell me if there is any setting to low my vegetation without compromise my graphics?

I got constant 60 fps in cities also except at traffic signal which is normal.

My PC spec:
System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Processor: AMD 5800x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Elite
Graphics card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 OC
Memory: 32GB
Storage: Samsung SSD m.2
Monitor: Acer XB273K GP
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » September 23rd, 2021, 3:01 pm

t2patel - Just quoting you because it's funny! "My graphic is awesome and there is no issue at all..." but then you tell me your issues...

The problem is my issue, your issue and every ones issue. Trees are too demanding and SCS plant far too many of them close together in the new DLC's or revamped old areas.

Your cpu draws the scene at 60 times a second whilst also running your game, AI, sound, logic etc.
So it has a max of 0.0167 of a second per frame and probably only needs around 0.01 per frame in normal driving areas, depending on game resolution.
Once it has to draw lots of trees in each frame it may take around 0.02 per frame. That's now only a max of 50fps and would actually be 40fps because of vsync.
120hz = 120 -> 60 -> 40 -> 30fps.
You could opt to run at 40fps constant instead of 60 and drops? vsync 1/3 instead of 1/2 for you.
Your 3080 just sits waiting for frames to render and therefore gpu usage goes down.
Until the game gets multicore cpu support we're all going to suffer from this.
Try lowering mirror distance to compensate? or wait for Tantalus to reply with his settings that give 60fps for every one.

For the new lighting system, in config.cfg:

uset g_light_distance_factor "1" <-- assuming your's is on '1' at the moment.

That enables lights (street lights, beacons etc) to illuminate their surroundings in the distance.
I have that set to '0.0' now (1.41) and so flashing beacons can be seen but only when you drive past them do they illuminate, you'll see what I mean. So lots of traffic waiting as the traffic lights with indicators on should be less of a fps drop.
Try values 0.0 to 1.0 to see how it looks for you. Perhaps 0.5? for my gtx760 0.0 is best!

EDIT: Or you could try this?
If your monitor can use 100hz @ your 4k resolution then set this:
uset r_mode_refresh "0" <--- 100
Then leave NPI vsync at 1/2 and you'll have constant 50fps that may just be enough to prevent the drops you see?

Or set NPI vsync tear control to adaptive and then when the fps drop below 60 vsync is turned off and will therefore only drop the number of fps it has to rather than drop to the next vsync level of 40. But you'll see screen tearing at these times!
t2patel

Post by t2patel » September 23rd, 2021, 5:44 pm

JHTrucker wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 3:01 pm
t2patel - Just quoting you because it's funny! "My graphic is awesome and there is no issue at all..." but then you tell me your issues...

The problem is my issue, your issue and every ones issue. Trees are too demanding and SCS plant far too many of them close together in the new DLC's or revamped old areas.

Your cpu draws the scene at 60 times a second whilst also running your game, AI, sound, logic etc.
So it has a max of 0.0167 of a second per frame and probably only needs around 0.01 per frame in normal driving areas, depending on game resolution.
Once it has to draw lots of trees in each frame it may take around 0.02 per frame. That's now only a max of 50fps and would actually be 40fps because of vsync.
120hz = 120 -> 60 -> 40 -> 30fps.
You could opt to run at 40fps constant instead of 60 and drops? vsync 1/3 instead of 1/2 for you.
Your 3080 just sits waiting for frames to render and therefore gpu usage goes down.
Until the game gets multicore cpu support we're all going to suffer from this.
Try lowering mirror distance to compensate? or wait for Tantalus to reply with his settings that give 60fps for every one.

For the new lighting system, in config.cfg:

uset g_light_distance_factor "1" <-- assuming your's is on '1' at the moment.

That enables lights (street lights, beacons etc) to illuminate their surroundings in the distance.
I have that set to '0.0' now (1.41) and so flashing beacons can be seen but only when you drive past them do they illuminate, you'll see what I mean. So lots of traffic waiting as the traffic lights with indicators on should be less of a fps drop.
Try values 0.0 to 1.0 to see how it looks for you. Perhaps 0.5? for my gtx760 0.0 is best!

EDIT: Or you could try this?
If your monitor can use 100hz @ your 4k resolution then set this:
uset r_mode_refresh "0" <--- 100
Then leave NPI vsync at 1/2 and you'll have constant 50fps that may just be enough to prevent the drops you see?

Or set NPI vsync tear control to adaptive and then when the fps drop below 60 vsync is turned off and will therefore only drop the number of fps it has to rather than drop to the next vsync level of 40. But you'll see screen tearing at these times!
:laugh3: I am not considering this as an issue of NPI because I know this issue because of the game is using single core or might map optimisation issue.
BTW, I am one of the satisfied user of NPI and thanks to you, BenganJ and other forum members for that.

I have very high hopes from you & BenganJ so writing here :laugh3:

First I will try the below setting,
I can set custom 4k resolution with 100hz so I will try the same with the existing vsync 1/2

Yes, at present uset g_light_distance_factor "1", I will also try with 0.5

Thanks
dmvanmeter

Post by dmvanmeter » September 23rd, 2021, 9:52 pm

Hello all!
I just had to register here to simply express, as many have, my unbelievable appreciation for the information on here! I have ran ATS from the release and have also done all the tricks and settings to get the most out of the graphics and my system, but nothing has ever come remotely close to what the settings shared here have. ATS is incredibly immersive now and just looks amazing! The wires, fences, lines in general are solid and all shimmering has gone which was always my biggest issue. Everything looks the better than I have ever seen and I dont even have a high end system.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
64 GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz
Nvidia 2080 Super
Samsung 32" Odyssey G7 Faker Edition
ASrock X570 Taichi
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

I have no idea how people find or figure out all the details and tech that is involved in all of this, but it never ceases to blow my mind!

You are all amazing but not just for figuring all of this out, but for sharing all of it and spending a ton of time explaining it and walking people through it.

Thank you so very much!
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » September 24th, 2021, 1:26 am

@dmvanmeter - Glad you got it working, now export your NPI ATS settings so you can import them again when you next update your gfx driver.

It always feels good when someone goes to the trouble of registering on "yet another forum" just to say thanks, it helps to justify all the time and effort that went into this by BenganJ, Roadrunner and eventually, me! So thanks for that.

Don't forget to have a look around this forum to see what else you might like...
dmvanmeter

Post by dmvanmeter » September 24th, 2021, 1:58 am

@JHTrucker - Thank you for the export tip, didnt even think about that. Now I just have to do this for ETS2 and should be set pretty well.
tantalus

Post by tantalus » September 25th, 2021, 11:46 pm

dmvanmeter wrote:
September 23rd, 2021, 9:52 pm
and all shimmering has gone which was always my biggest issue.
We wish lol.

NPI indeed improves a lot the excess of shimmering but even with NPI you still can see a lot of it everywhere. There is nothing we can do about it.

My issue now is that i just cant stand the new lighting, period. I already did stop playing ATS for the moment because of this.

In exterior view, everything is fine, the lightning is like it should be.
In the moment i jump into cabin view, all my surroundings become washed out, with excess of light everywhere, and its impossible to drive that way.
When you are driving through dark asphalt it is not so annoying, but when you drive over light asphalt, surrounded by dry vegetation.. eveyrthing becomes a total mess.

So, unless SCS fixes the lightning system in cabin view i dont think ima going to touch ATS ever again.
I just hope i dont have the same desperation in ETS2, that honestly it is waaaay better than ATS.

We keep trying to find things to improve graphics and SCS keeps breaking and messing up all the efforts we do lol.
In the meantime, they keep investing time on terrible dlcs and idiotic semi-additions.
And until we have another alternative to ATS/ETS2 we are stuck with these terrible looking games.
Windows 10 xxxx.xxx whatever is the last version... lol.
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming 6Gb
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming 450B
16Gb Corsair RAM
Gaming on a 1TB M2 SDD Seagate.