[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
tantalus

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by tantalus » February 21st, 2021, 4:46 pm

BenganJ wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 9:03 pm
@tantalus

Mate, sorry if you got hurt, that was by no means what was meant from me. It's just that we have a reason
for sticking with the older driver and NPI and we know what the consequences would be if we upgraded.
No offence meant, mate!
Nah, its ok, im a tough guy.... :grin:

The only consequence is that you lose the silk smoothness parameter, thats all. The sharpening filter is back in the latest drivers (though i dont use it, honestly its not needed). But its located on nvidia control panel, i cant remember seeing it on npi.

Also i dont even need to use skil smoothness because i dont use shadow resolution 8k. Its completely pointless. Shadows still look terrible even using that resolution. Without using that resolution on shadows you dont need extra computer power anymore. I would not mind to keep using old drivers if i wasnt playing other new games, that run way better with new drivers. Besides, you can just increase the pre-rendered frames by one if you feel that the game does not run fine in your end.

I think in the end, its safer and more practical to use new drivers. If you dont use 8k shadows (as i said its pointless), you dont need silk smoothness parameter. You should give it a try.

And btw, didnt you have the same card as me? the 1660 ti? well, i tell you, you dont need silk smoothness.... and it wont matter if you had the best card in the market, the performance loss is not because your card, its because the game engine is very limited. Nothing we can do about that.
Windows 10 xxxx.xxx whatever is the last version... lol.
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming 6Gb
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming 450B
16Gb Corsair RAM
Gaming on a 1TB M2 SDD Seagate.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 21st, 2021, 4:51 pm

@tantalus

I've already stated that I will upgrade later on, when new hardware is in place. I see your
point in upgrading when running a lot of other game, I don't. I know what I'm doing and
you won't be able to change my plans.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » February 21st, 2021, 6:05 pm

New drivers are for new games and new gpu's.
If you don't play new games and have a good working driver for your old gpu then there's no point in updating.
The driver is only being optimised for the latest hardware/games.
Do you think nvidia updated their driver for ETS2 DX11? No, ETS2 DX11 works with a driver from 2015 (353.xx) on my gtx760 using the original NPI profile with the new DX11 AA bit.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
Deltatristar500

Post by Deltatristar500 » February 22nd, 2021, 12:04 am

Love the way the settings look and having no jaggies is a plus, however is there a way to enable SSAO? I notice with the settings its recommended to turn it off, however love how the shadows look on wheels with SSAO on.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 22nd, 2021, 12:41 am

@Deltatristar500

That is totally up to you, either you enable it in NPI OR you enable SSAO in-game.
Sadly none of those ways will give you REAL, PROPER Ambient Occlusion. Test both,
then either choose the best OR disable it again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrPapaBear
PPM

Post by MrPapaBear » February 22nd, 2021, 1:14 am

I found a nice Nvidia Overlay setting. That uses the Reshade Shaders with Nvidia Overlay and give u a nice Ambient Occlusion. I can link to the Video I used if that's allowed.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 22nd, 2021, 1:20 am

@MrPapaBear

Sorry mate, but we already know about Nvidia Freestyle and have referred to it many times.
But you should know that those shaders have been prepared for Nvidia by ReShade creator,
so all of them are POSTPROCESSING stuff and will probably work as bad as SSAO or NPI AO
settings when using the AA scheme with NPI.
tantalus

Post by tantalus » February 22nd, 2021, 2:34 am

JHTrucker wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 6:05 pm
New drivers are for new games and new gpu's.
If you don't play new games and have a good working driver for your old gpu then there's no point in updating.
The driver is only being optimised for the latest hardware/games.
Do you think nvidia updated their driver for ETS2 DX11? No, ETS2 DX11 works with a driver from 2015 (353.xx) on my gtx760 using the original NPI profile with the new DX11 AA bit.
I was the first one back in the days who never wanted to upgrade my drivers cuz they were working perfectly fine. But these days more and more videogames have specific drivers requirements, and im not talking about just telling you that you need the latest drivers, they tell you a specific version number ... i only play about two more games besides ATS/ETS2 and one of them already asks for 461.40 and it will crash if you use a previous driver version... so, as you see, is not that easy to stick to old drivers these days. I wish it was. If you only play ATS or ETS2, well, there is no point upgrading drivers, thats obvious.

Nvidia never updates drivers for specific games, they only do fixes regarding problems on those games, thats not the point here.

And no, sadly i dont think nvidia would do efforts to fix anything related to ATS/ETS2 because the game engine is extremely old by now. And its up to the developers of the game engine to upgrade it to support decent antialiasing systems, better shadow casters, etc, etc. They can "update" lightning system all they want, the biggest problems of the game are others, and they have been ignoring them since ages ago.

The game in my end never ran so smooth than right now. Of course im using 4k shadows, not 8k. Thats pointless and overkill for the game engine and will always cause framedrops no matter what you do and no matter what card you have. But i didnt have a single framedrop or hiccup for months. Not even driving trhough mexico extremo or anywhere for the matter. 60 fps all the time.
But one thing is true, as long as npi exists and works with ATS/ETS2, the game can survive.
Ryzen 5 2600x
16Gb Corsair RAM
tantalus

Post by tantalus » February 22nd, 2021, 2:41 am

Deltatristar500 wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 12:04 am
Love the way the settings look and having no jaggies is a plus, however is there a way to enable SSAO? I notice with the settings its recommended to turn it off, however love how the shadows look on wheels with SSAO on.
The whole point of npi is to fix the "jaggies", not the other way around... the game looks exactly the same as vanilla, the only thing that changes is, good antialiasing and reduction of shimmering.
Ryzen 5 2600x
16Gb Corsair RAM
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » February 22nd, 2021, 2:45 am

@tantalus

No, NPI is way more than AA settings, it is about setting most of the Nvidia driver settings, NOT
available in Nvidias own Control Panel.