[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
JHTrucker
Expert

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by JHTrucker » July 15th, 2020, 12:44 am

@BenganJ - don't change that!!!!
It's been there a long time and it removes game timing for render.
At profile screen the background goes crazy fast... i didn't proceed into game any further, i don't think.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 15th, 2020, 12:48 am

@JHTrucker

Ah, that explains why it isn't documented perhaps! :grin: :grin: :grin:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
killingjoke

Post by killingjoke » July 15th, 2020, 1:46 pm

I really hope we get the NPI settings to work with the SCS SSAO. That would be the ultimate best looking verstion.
BushPilot

Post by BushPilot » July 16th, 2020, 5:11 am

Update 1.38 has totally hosed my triple monitor setup. Followed all the setup steps given in the first post directions for NPI settings, config file changes, multimon_config for triples, and AA worked well with V1.36 and V1.37. Now I get slanted pieces of the center monitor in both side monitors. Using Surround 5960x1080 resolution in game.
Use this link for a screenshot https://app.box.com/s/zantbnn15ppnr00rdw0cmeupq95nbfab
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 16th, 2020, 12:31 pm

@BushPilot

Let's see what JHTrucker has to say about that, he's running a triple himself,
even if it's a hardware based one and not the Surround.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » July 16th, 2020, 6:44 pm

@BushPilot
ATS g_game_version "1.38.0.136"
Using window to get your wide aspect resolution (my res max is 3840x1024):
uset r_fullscreen "0"
uset r_mode_refresh "0"
uset r_mode_height "696"
uset r_mode_width "3840"

There's no issues for me.

NPI AA can't break triple images like you have shown.
Make sure config.cfg is correct else it'll use multimon setting in the config instead.
uset r_multimon_mode "4"

Try with a brand new step 2 triple file in case you've been editing the multimon file for bezel correction etc.

EDIT: Do you use weather mods? or something that changes the sky?
It looks like the sky is transparent?
Try with mod free profile to test if so.

I don't use NPI AO or scs SSAO but as a test i added them and seen no difference to my image shown.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 16th, 2020, 9:44 pm

============================= Folks! =============================
================== Regarding NPI AO and SCS's SSAO =================
================================================================

I have now run quite some comparison tests regarding Ambient Occlusion in the game. Earlier we had some settings
in NPI regarding AO, but now with v1.38 of ETS2/ATS we also got SCS's implementation SSAO (GTAO) to play with.
I myself and also TheClumsyGeek found out that when ATS v1.38 OB was out, we had a smaller effect of SCS's SSAO,
than what SCS themselves had shown us on their blog. Now when ATS v1.38 final is out, many more people claim,
that the effect isn't as big as it should be. As Ambient Occlusion is all about light sources casting shadows, even in
occluded places, I was very thorough in my tests to see to, that all screenshots were taken at the same time of the
day, 10:30AM and that the skybox, the part that was seen, was cloud-less. The exact same scene, that SCS used
when they illustrated one of their examples on their blog, was also used to create my screenshots.

First I will show you which areas you should look at in the pictures to come. Here's where the big changes will occur.

ATS v1.38:
-------------

Also as a reference I will re-post the two pictures from SCS's blog that I will compare to later.
Left: SSAO OFF
Right: SSAO ON

ImageImage

Now, first I will make the exact same comparison as SCS did on the blog, but on my system.
Obviously Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI) is totally deactivated in this test and as you can see it correspond
quite well with SCS's comparison..

ImageImage

For the real tests we start with NPI fully activated, including the AO settings, and comparing with/without
SCS's SSAO OFF and ON. As you can see we get an effect in area 1, but no change in area 2.

ImageImage

Next we switch off the NPI AO settings and make the same comparison. As far as I can see the exact same
result as the test above. No impact at all from NPI AO.

ImageImage

ATSv1.37:
------------

In order to see the effect of NPI AO OFF/ON we have to go back to 1.37 with no SCS SSAO implementation. This became a
BIG surprise to me, as I was of the impression, that this effect was present, but as you can see, nothing changes at all. After this test I also
noted that in Nvidia Control Panel (NCP), the driver based Ambient Occlusion setting was inactivated for use after upgrading ATS to v1.38!
Left: NPI AO OFF
Right: NPI AO ON

ImageImage

Conclusions:
---------------

To begin with I can confess, that I have deceived myself into thinking, I had any AO in ETS2/ATS v1.37! I might have had
it in v1.36 though, but I'm not going to investigate that too. According to my tests, I would say that, using NPI, we can get a limited
ambient occlusion effect with the SCS implementation. AO settings in NPI is of no use at all, at least until we find a way to get it
to work, maybe with another compatibility bit pattern. But, on the other hand we can see, that just by using NPI we limit the effect
and why it is so, I don't know yet. So, for now, reset the NPI AO settings, they don't have any effect, and set the level of SSAO in the
game suitable for your hardware capacity. We will try to find a better solution, cross your fingers!
BushPilot

Post by BushPilot » July 16th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Will try your suggestions, thanks for the quick response. I will definitely go mod free to start with. Been fishing all morning, now its time to relax and ATS working again.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 16th, 2020, 10:03 pm

@BushPilot

Okay, if you come up with something, please report back here.
Sansemiano
PPM

Post by Sansemiano » July 16th, 2020, 11:05 pm

@BenganJ: Thanks for your AO-research! Resetting NPI AO means set the two parameters to Off (AO setting) and Disabled (AO usage)?