[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
BenganJ

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by BenganJ » November 4th, 2020, 8:44 pm

@ponstan

You're so welcome! Now ENJOY!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
ponstan

Post by ponstan » November 6th, 2020, 1:55 pm

BenganJ wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm
@hecatonchires

Here's my view of this situation. These games, ETS2 and ATS, are pretty bad on rendering on
high FPS, old engine. High density vegetation is one of many environments that is prune to
FPS drops. Many people are aiming for highest possible frame rate, but my opinion is to aim
for max stable and constant FPS, then you will get a smooth experience, with minimum of
screen tearing and stuttering. So, I recommend you test the following settings and I can tell
you that I use it with a 1080p monitor at 60 Hz, so I know it works. NOTE, that if you got rid
of the NPI, please reinstate it before doing this. So, here it is. Settings in config.cfg to do.

Code: Select all

uset r_mirror_scale_y "2"
uset r_mirror_scale_x "2"
uset r_sun_shadow_quality "3"
uset r_mirror_view_distance "200"
uset r_mode_refresh "59"
uset r_vsync "1"
uset t_averaging_window_length "20"
To:
uset r_mirror_scale_y "1" //This is to get AA in the mirrors too.
uset r_mirror_scale_x "1" //Dito
uset r_sun_shadow_quality "4" //Removes some flickering in shadows.
uset r_mirror_view_distance "400" //Making objects disappear later in the mirrors.
uset r_mode_refresh "0" //This is NOT the way to tell the game which frame rate to use.
uset r_vsync "2" //This will make the game render at half the monitor refresh rate, in our case 30 in a synced mode, thereby limiting the FPS to a stable value.
uset t_averaging_window_length "60" //This will make the game calculate a better frame timing, which will give you a smoother experience. It is 2x the FPS limit.
These settings work VERY well for me and I've got a lower performance card than you have.
Please report back how it worked for you!
Good to hear and I've applied all these too, but what about fps when we use promods and roextended maps to play?
I'm afraid of what you're doing in the name of your God
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 6th, 2020, 2:05 pm

@ponstan

Sure, at several areas Promods has probably bad optimization of the map, around Barcelona e.g.,
but irrespective of which map combos you use, the goal is the same, i.e. aiming for a stable and
constant FPS at all times. For a monitor with 60 Hz refresh rate, the above will try to keep the
FPS at a constant 30 fps, which is enough to get a smooth feeling. Sadly quite a few maps will
here and there get FPS drops, but that we can't do anything about, except asking the mappers
to better optimize their maps. For a more competent graphics card and a monitor with a higher
possible refresh rate, you can use settings of r_vsync to 3 and 4 to get a constant FPS of e.g.
for a 144Hz monitor, 48 fps resp. 36 fps. Stable, constant FPS is a good thing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
theclumsygeek
PPM

Post by theclumsygeek » November 7th, 2020, 4:06 am

Thanks again for this amazing guide guys. I can't highlight enough how much these tweaks improve the image quality. I can't go back to vanilla graphic settings anymore. They even work for triple monitors, so cool!

Speaking about triple monitors, I noticed that when taking screenshots, there is a sliver of a black line where my monitors meet. I have bezel correction to 0 both in Nvidia surround and in the multimon config so I would have expected no line there.

I will try later to set a little positive offset for the left monitor and a little negative offset for the right one (moving them closer to the center). Maybe that will remove the black lines.

I'll post my results afterwards, but if anyone has experience about this topic feel free to chime in. I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to multiple monitor setups.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 7th, 2020, 4:32 am

@theclumsygeek

Out brilliant multimonitor expert, JHTrucker, can probably tell you exactly
how to configure that, but I wouldn't mess with BOTH SCS's multimon config
and Nvidia Surround settings. Choose one of'em! The game renders three
separate views, each with it's own FOV, so it's definitely a case of moving
the outer views to adjust them to fit the center one!
ponstan

Post by ponstan » November 7th, 2020, 4:31 pm

@BenganJ
I5 9300h, 1660ti, 16bg ram, 144 Hz monitor and I can't find stable and costant fps. I keep making changes. Yesterday I found out that my monitor supports g-sync (aoc G2790 PX). Does this affect for smooth fps ?
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 7th, 2020, 5:37 pm

@ponstan

I have never had a G-Sync compatible monitor, but there are people I know,
that use it with good result, so you can always test it. There are some info
about that too in the first post. BUT, as I said earlier, if you have a 144Hz
monitor and your desktop is set to that refresh rate, you should also test
setting r_vsync in config.cfg to 2, 3 and 4, which will get you a FPS limit
of 72, 48 and 36 respectively. I have almost the same hardware level as
you have, but a 60 Hz monitor, hence I have to set my limit to FPS 30 and
I have a VERY smooth experience!
ponstan

Post by ponstan » November 7th, 2020, 6:10 pm

@BenganJ
Thanks a lot for quick reply. So, I'll keep testing!!!!
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » November 8th, 2020, 6:20 pm

@theclumsygeek
You should always use bezel correction either in nvidia surround or in the multimon_config file as i've detailed in it's header Or see link in STEP 2 on first post.
If you don't use bezel correction then you'll be looking at 3 disjointed images. Your eyes will see a vertical break/gap in the game world meaning fences (for example) that run from left through to centre won't line up across the monitor bezels. May cause sickness / headache.
Nvidia surround is easy but ensure you then pick the new bezel corrected resolution to use in game.

The only time i've seen those silver/black lines is when i made my ultra wide curved screen file which is 3 images shown as one, side by side, and then i just increased the side images width a very small amount to over lap slightly. This --> viewtopic.php?p=20550#p20550
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
theclumsygeek
PPM

Post by theclumsygeek » November 9th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Thanks JHTrucker! Hmm yes increasing the side images width sounds like a promising option to try to get rid of the black lines.
I wasn't able to get rid of them when trying out the bezel corrections (either in nvidia or in multimon config, but not both at the same time).