[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
hecatonchires
PPM

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by hecatonchires » November 1st, 2020, 8:25 pm

@benganj, my goal is to have smooth gameplay all round. There are instances in experience drops in fps mostly around vegetation and heavy traffic areas and sometimes cities. I use a TV as I can't afford a good gaming monitor so vsync is on always for 60fps, as when it's off, I experience screen tearing a lot. Fast sync doesn't help the situation so its vsync on or nothing. Fps drops from 60 to between 30-45 around vegetation areas, perhaps where it's thickest I'm not sure. I have removed the ones I used which are fael environment and DB creation traffic essentials and still I get the same thing. If I was using a wack card I'd understand but I'm not. So any tips on what I can do to make things better.
The Set-Up :boast:
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm

@hecatonchires

Here's my view of this situation. These games, ETS2 and ATS, are pretty bad on rendering on
high FPS, old engine. High density vegetation is one of many environments that is prune to
FPS drops. Many people are aiming for highest possible frame rate, but my opinion is to aim
for max stable and constant FPS, then you will get a smooth experience, with minimum of
screen tearing and stuttering. So, I recommend you test the following settings and I can tell
you that I use it with a 1080p monitor at 60 Hz, so I know it works. NOTE, that if you got rid
of the NPI, please reinstate it before doing this. So, here it is. Settings in config.cfg to do.

Code: Select all

uset r_mirror_scale_y "2"
uset r_mirror_scale_x "2"
uset r_sun_shadow_quality "3"
uset r_mirror_view_distance "200"
uset r_mode_refresh "59"
uset r_vsync "1"
uset t_averaging_window_length "20"
To:
uset r_mirror_scale_y "1" //This is to get AA in the mirrors too.
uset r_mirror_scale_x "1" //Dito
uset r_sun_shadow_quality "4" //Removes some flickering in shadows.
uset r_mirror_view_distance "400" //Making objects disappear later in the mirrors.
uset r_mode_refresh "0" //This is NOT the way to tell the game which frame rate to use.
uset r_vsync "2" //This will make the game render at half the monitor refresh rate, in our case 30 in a synced mode, thereby limiting the FPS to a stable value.
uset t_averaging_window_length "60" //This will make the game calculate a better frame timing, which will give you a smoother experience. It is 2x the FPS limit.
These settings work VERY well for me and I've got a lower performance card than you have.
Please report back how it worked for you!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
yiannis

Post by yiannis » November 3rd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Guys can we use the negative lod bias cause I think I remember that someone said that it does not work so well or am I mistaken? :P
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 3rd, 2020, 5:20 pm

It works damn well, getting you to see the text much earlier on the distant signs!
Just be sure to set Texture filtering - Driver Controlled LOD Bias to Off and
Texture filtering - Quality to High quality!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
yiannis

Post by yiannis » November 3rd, 2020, 5:25 pm

Cool, thanks BenganJ!! :)
ponstan

Post by ponstan » November 4th, 2020, 1:24 am

Hi guys
I would like to ask you some questions, because today I decided to use NPI.
1) I downloaded version 2.3.0.12 as my gpu drivers is 457.09 is that correct?
2) I made all the changes according to the instructions in NPI
3) I put the multimon_config.sii file in c:/documents/eurotruck simulator 2. and I think that, so far so good!!!
4) In the folder of the game there is no ''global config.cfg '', but only ''config.cfg'' and ''global_controls.sii''. Why does this happen and where sould I make the changes mentioned in ''global config.cfg '' ?
I watched two videos, one by Wombat (there is ''global config.cfg '' file) and the other by punk alias punkito without this file. Does make any deference or not?
5) If all its ok, we close NPI window and start the game or we leave it open?
You may consider my questions stupid, but I would really appreciate any help!!!!!
I tried to read as many pages of the thread was possible, but I got lost :resent:
My laptop configuration is:
HP Omen 17.3" (i5-9300H/16GB/1TB HDD & 256GB SSD/GTX 1660 Ti 6GB)
Thanks in advance
I'm afraid of what you're doing in the name of your God
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 4th, 2020, 1:34 am

@ponstan

Good to hear that you are trying this. I have used this scheme for years now and it
really make the graphics much better.

1. Yes, that's correct!
4. There is a config.cfg in the folder you say, but also in every profile folder, that's the reason we
talk about a GLOBAL config.cfg, which is the one you found. This just to avoid that people edit
the wrong config.cfg file.
5. After you have configured NPI, you MUST hit the Apply changes button to the upper right, but
then you don't need to have NPI open and the only time you have to start it again is if you want
to change something OR you upgrade your Nvidia driver, as the install will overwrite your changes.
So be sure to export the settings before closing NPI too, so that you in that case can import after
the upgrade.

No questions are stupid and you're so welcome to ask further if needed! Good Luck!
ponstan

Post by ponstan » November 4th, 2020, 2:14 am

BenganJ wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 1:34 am
@ponstan

Good to hear that you are trying this. I have used this scheme for years now and it
really make the graphics much better.

1. Yes, that's correct!
4. There is a config.cfg in the folder you say, but also in every profile folder, that's the reason we
talk about a GLOBAL config.cfg, which is the one you found. This just to avoid that people edit
the wrong config.cfg file.
5. After you have configured NPI, you MUST hit the Apply changes button to the upper right, but
then you don't need to have NPI open and the only time you have to start it again is if you want
to change something OR you upgrade your Nvidia driver, as the install will overwrite your changes.
So be sure to export the settings before closing NPI too, so that you in that case can import after
the upgrade.

No questions are stupid and you're so welcome to ask further if needed! Good Luck!
Thank you so much for your quick reply. You were very informative and as a result I realized what really is going on!!!
I'm afraid of what you're doing in the name of your God
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » November 4th, 2020, 2:19 am

@ponstan

Thanks! Please report back here about how it worked out for you!
fizhey

Post by fizhey » November 4th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Hey, so when I try to save the nvidia profile inspector settings it gives me an error: DRS_SetSetting failed: NVAPI_SETTING_NOT_FOUND. I did save before I got this error couple of times but then didn't do it for a while only until i was done.

Best regards fizhey!