[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
BenganJ

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by BenganJ » April 29th, 2020, 6:31 pm

@JHTrucker

Oh, I was not thinking you argued, I just didn't understand exactly what you meant!
I am not sure Tapir has driven on those special locations where clear F1 AND I have
had problems, albeit I in a milder form maybe!

@Tapir

As I said up a couple of posts, I have my 1660Ti, NOT Super, heavily overclocked too!
On top of that it is already OC'd in the factory!

EDIT: I just checked and my Memory clock is +1402, while the Core clock is varying on
a curve depending on load.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
Wakashi

Post by Wakashi » April 29th, 2020, 11:32 pm

Gentlemen,

To each person that has donated time, effort & knowledge for the love of the game! My Thanks!!

Having been a fan of ETS2/ATS for a couple of years now and having considerable trouble keeping it looking good
has, as you well know been a struggle to say the least! I have not been using the sims since update to 1.35 due to the terrible graphics that I was encountering. I found this link quite by accident (lucky me) by posting in a Steam forum about RTX 2080 graphic card questions by @Robinicus a couple of days ago. After several hours of trial and error expertise I find that I am at a standstill with issues I cannot resolve myself, so I am here asking for "HELP"!
I am closer to the "sweet spot" in terms of graphics than I have been since DX-9 days, thanks to this thread. When I say I am closer, by that I mean I am 85% happy with all of progress I have made following the advice here, although I am still having issues with blurred, jagged, flashing, objects in the near and far distance, especially pertaining to guardrails, white lines, RR tracks, and most fences being out of whack! I have tried most (if not all) of the settings advised and so far my best settings are as follows:

NPI Settings: 0x8000F72, 4x4x, all other settings per 1st page settings!

Config.cfg ETS2 Settings: As per first page settings guidelines!

In-Game Settings: 100% Scaleing,

Multimon: Single Monitor multimon_config.sii

Computer Specs:
Win 10 64
i7-5820
16GB Memory
RTX 2080 8GB
Two 27" 1920x1080 Monitors

Any and all suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!

Roger aka (Wakashi)
Regards! Roger
Windows 10/64
i7 5820
RTX 2080 Super
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » April 30th, 2020, 12:07 am

@Wakashi

Welcome to the forum Roger! If you look in this forum for a topic parallel to this one
you will find the equivalent to this but for DX9. I started that topic as a spin-off from
something similar on the SCS forum, but without the information collected to the first
post, which in my view was frustrating, having to look for the info all over the topic.
The same scheme I have followed in this topic, so essentially all info is concentrated
to the first post.

Now over to your problem. You're not alone with a sort of rest of flickering objects,
but the main amount of the graphics looks good. Not all those flickering objects do
that of the same reason, so here's a list of some, that I have experienced.
  • If you place two textures in the same plane overlapping one another that part will flicker,
    and mappers do that frequently.
  • Fences most often contain very densely placed parts creating moire patterns experienced
    as being flickering.
  • Then it is a fact that AA methods aren't able to get to all objects, so there will be some
    rest left.
  • Post processing doing some image sharpening to compensate for AA blurring will also dig
    up the edges again, so one has to be cautious with that too.
So, from the above, I must ask you if you have set the Image sharpening parameters in first
post as is, or if you have used other means of sharpening? If so, try to lower those values a bit
and see if that helps. The other problems in the above list is not much you can do about, sadly!
I hope this will help you in some way!

Check out my YouTube videos made recently, there you'll see what I have achieved. Link in my
signature to my channel.

EDIT: BTW, I REALLY recommend that you change to this setting!

Code: Select all

Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x) ------------------ '0x80000A7F'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lothinator

Post by lothinator » April 30th, 2020, 2:58 am

Quick question,

I have ATS with an RTX 2060 KO running at 1440p. Have applied these settings and overall graphics look better.

However, I may have missed something but I'm not sure what. When the distant textures load in to near textures, there's a distinct checkerboard effect as if they're loading in interlaced. I'm not sure what this is called, but it's a lot more noticeable than it was before.

The only other effect I'm noticing is that shadows tend to flicker (not tear, so it's not a monitor issue, just flicker). Not sure if that's fixable.

Any tips what steps to look at for each issue?
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » April 30th, 2020, 3:05 am

@lothinator

Welcome to the forum! May I ask you a couple of questions before answering.
1. Have you edited the last loaded game_data.sii file to raise the distance for
LOD changes of the trees and grass type vegetation?
2. What value have you configured for the config.cfg setting of r_sun_shadow_texture_size?
3. Have you configured Ambient Occlusion in NPI?
lothinator

Post by lothinator » April 30th, 2020, 3:30 am

BenganJ wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 3:05 am
@lothinator

Welcome to the forum! May I ask you a couple of questions before answering.
1. Have you edited the last loaded game_data.sii file to raise the distance for
LOD changes of the trees and grass type vegetation?
2. What value have you configured for the config.cfg setting of r_sun_shadow_texture_size?
3. Have you configured Ambient Occlusion in NPI?
Thanks... have dug deeper into the post and am looking at the options that are in the second part. I guess I thought the first part was everything I needed.

1. I'm not sure which is the last loaded game_data right now, since I have most mods installed through Steam they have ID #'s on the folders... still trying to figure that one out.
2. uset r_sun_shadow_texture_size "4096". Changed it to 8192 per the suggestion in the posts.
3. Have added those settings per the second part of the post.

Going back in-game to test for a bit, I'm not getting good shadows at the moment, so going to look for a spot where I do. It went nighttime on me so.... having to get it daytime again to really see the shadows. Though on first glance it seems there's less flickering of shadows and guard rails.

The only thing I haven't done yet is mess with vsync options, or the game_data.sii because I'm still not sure exactly where I'll be editing that. As far as vsync, I'll have to use the "cheap" option because I have a 70hz display, and my RTX 2060 is already struggling to keep close to 70fps at best. With the shadow change I lost a few FPS right there.

EDIT: Report back after some gameplay, it is much better. I've now added the vsync settings. Played with different AA options. Have minimal flickering now, and especially big shadows aren't as noticeable. Still have a little bit of checkerboarding on trees as they change LOD but not as bad. The only thing left to do I think is the edit to game_data.sii and still gotta figure out where that is.
Last edited by lothinator on April 30th, 2020, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakashi

Post by Wakashi » April 30th, 2020, 4:21 am

BenganJ wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:07 am
@Wakashi

Welcome to the forum Roger! If you look in this forum for a topic parallel to this one
you will find the equivalent to this but for DX9. I started that topic as a spin-off from
something similar on the SCS forum, but without the information collected to the first
post, which in my view was frustrating, having to look for the info all over the topic.
The same scheme I have followed in this topic, so essentially all info is concentrated
to the first post.

Now over to your problem. You're not alone with a sort of rest of flickering objects,
but the main amount of the graphics looks good. Not all those flickering objects do
that of the same reason, so here's a list of some, that I have experienced.
  • If you place two textures in the same plane overlapping one another that part will flicker,
    and mappers do that frequently.
  • Fences most often contain very densely placed parts creating moire patterns experienced
    as being flickering.
  • Then it is a fact that AA methods aren't able to get to all objects, so there will be some
    rest left.
  • Post processing doing some image sharpening to compensate for AA blurring will also dig
    up the edges again, so one has to be cautious with that too.
So, from the above, I must ask you if you have set the Image sharpening parameters in first
post as is, or if you have used other means of sharpening? If so, try to lower those values a bit
and see if that helps. The other problems in the above list is not much you can do about, sadly!
I hope this will help you in some way!

Check out my YouTube videos made recently, there you'll see what I have achieved. Link in my
signature to my channel.

EDIT: BTW, I REALLY recommend that you change to this setting!

Code: Select all

Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x) ------------------ '0x80000A7F'
Thank you Sir, I appreciate the quick and efficient response! I am extremely happy with my progress thus far with the graphics that I have achieved (with this help.) I guess I am after the Holy Grail of graphics knowing that ain't gonna happen!!

I actually changed to the 0x8000A7F again just to test the difference while I was waiting on my response from the forum, seems to be better for sure, I also am in the process of testing the DSR 1.78 2560 x 1440, which also seems to help. As far as the sharpening, yes, I am using the NCP for that .60 .17, is this the only change that is made in the Control Panel under the ETS2/ATS tab? Nothing is changed in the Global Tab, right?
I have looked at several of your videos here and on YT, very impressive, mine are not up to that scale yet, but, I am looking to get the Jet-line Systems Gravity GTX series soon so maybe I can accomplish what I'm looking for then!

Wakashi
Regards! Roger
Windows 10/64
i7 5820
RTX 2080 Super
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » April 30th, 2020, 11:44 am

@lothinator

Ah, I see you took me on my words and have done some serious testing. You say you ended up using V-Sync,
was that by setting r_vsync to "2" in config.cfg file, getting a steady 35 FPS?
When it comes to tree and vegetation LOD settings in game_data.sii, then it is possible to make your own
mod, just containing that file, but mind you then you still ought to find your presently last loaded one,
and have that as a starting point.
One more VERY important thing regarding what you call checkerboarding (LOD changing). In ATS there are
huge areas where you see widely and where there are almost no trees, just small bushes. At those places
the phenomenon is seen pretty easy and often and NO settings in the world can make the game render all
those bushes at the same time. Driving on curvy roads with trees on the side, there you will gain the most
from the settings in game_data.sii.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » April 30th, 2020, 11:55 am

@Wakashi

A couple more things about Image sharpening. Before Nvidia driver 445.75 one could also set the exact settings in NPI
but the Nvidia removed those from NCP and hence they disappeared from NPI in v2.3.0.12 (info in first post). If you have
Geforce Experience installed, then you can activate game overlay there and in game the use Nvidia Freestyle to mess
a lot with ReShade like filters, including Image sharpening ones. You are correct in saying that one should make the
settings in NCP, or NPI, ONLY for those two games, NOT in the Global section. Nice to hear you too got it all up and
running on a satisfying level! ENJOY!
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » April 30th, 2020, 2:59 pm

@BenganJ - 35fps on vsync-2 because lothinator said "I'll have to use the "cheap" option because I have a 70hz display, and my RTX 2060..."
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034