[ETS2/ATS] New Temporal Anti Aliasing - Properly Implemented - No More Aliasing, Flickering

Make your game even better
humpwheat
PPM

[ETS2/ATS] New Temporal Anti Aliasing - Properly Implemented - No More Aliasing, Flickering

Post by humpwheat » September 9th, 2023, 2:35 pm

This is not my work. It was posted on the scs forums by snowymoon and I thought people here might find it useful. All credit to snowymoon afaik.

ETS2/ATS aliasing issue finally solved correctly. New TAA is now available.

Comparison/Tutorial:

TAA is a method used by modern games to solve aliasing issues.
- Full implementation of TAA for ETS2/ATS
- It has low performance impact compared to any other anti aliasing solution.
- It is not an only postprocess TAA like you have in other apps which just blurs your screen.

TAA is most effective in motion as you can see in video. Solving flickering, shimmering perfectly.
But if you want to see stationary comparison you can check out links below.
Comparison 1080p: https://imgsli.com/MjAxMjgy
Comparison (4k): https://imgsli.com/MjAxMjgx

TAA (Temporal Anti Aliasing) implemented with a .dll file to replace default anti aliasing method with TAA.
It is removing/recuding aliasing, flickering, shimmering with minimal performance impact.

You can get rid of aliasing problems with only 100% resolution scale in game. You can use left gpu power for higher graphic settings or anything you want.

Roadmap:
I. TAA - Ready
II. Shadow & SSAO Improvements - Coming next...
III. Lighting Improvements - Coming next...

Download: https://snowymoon.io

Supported Versions:
ETS2: 1.48.1.6
ATS: 1.48.2.6

Requirements:
Windows 10 x64 or Windows 11 x64, DirectX 11

Settings:
Press "HOME" key to open menu ingame
Rate = TAA apply rate (9 default and recommended)
Sharpness = Sharpen filter rate

Installation:
1. Go to Euro Truck Simulator 2/American Truck Simulator folder
2. Go to "bin\win_x64" folder
3. Copy & paste dxgi.dll file
4. Start game with DirectX 11
5. Disable any other anti aliasing (SMAA, MSAA, Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI))

How to use with ReShade:

Code: Select all

***You can use this method for any other project uses dxgi.dll.

Create a folder named "reshade" inside "bin\win_x64\" folder.
Copy reshade files (dxgi.dll, ReShade.ini, ReShadePreset.ini, reshade-shaders) to "bin\win_x64\reshade\" folder.
Put TAA dxgi.dll to "bin\win_x64\" folder.
Now you can play the game with TAA and ReShade.

***When reshade is activated, you need to use "END" key for TAA instead of "HOME" key.
Tapir
VIP

Re: [ETS2/ATS] New Temporal Anti Aliasing - Properly Implemented - No More Aliasing, Flickering

Post by Tapir » September 10th, 2023, 2:54 am

Tried this "thing" and all I get starting ETS2 is "Unsupported version" :ireful2: :angry2: :ireful2:

For me it's a case for the trash can. Unusable in the current ETS2 version!

You should test your "software advices" before posting !

System: Windows 11 PRO
Processor: Intel i7-12700KF 5GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 DS3H AX
Memory: Corsair DDR5-6000 32 GB
Storage: Samsung 990 M2 SSD + 2 Samsung 870 SSD
Graphics: Asus GeForce Dual RTX 3060 V2 12GB GDDR6
humpwheat
PPM

Re: [ETS2/ATS] New Temporal Anti Aliasing - Properly Implemented - No More Aliasing, Flickering

Post by humpwheat » September 10th, 2023, 1:11 pm

It works fine. Perhaps you weren't using the latest version.
Tapir
VIP

Post by Tapir » September 10th, 2023, 1:12 pm

You think I haven`t the newest ones ? NO

Also my ETS2 version isn`t dropped down from sky . :grin: :grin:

JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » September 10th, 2023, 2:10 pm

@humpwheat - Perhaps your first post should have just been a link to the SCS forum post where the creator is providing help and updates to the feedback given.

@Tapir - From reading the above, it seems you need to ensure your game beta tab is set to "NONE" to be supported.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this on my cheap win 10 laptop with iGPU which has steam set to offline as I don't have an 'always on' internet connection.
On starting ATS I get to the launch pad and a box at the top left states "Snowymoon.io v3 Connection error!" which I assume prevents the TAA menu from appearing and so I couldn't test it. Pressing 'Home' toggles that error box on/off.

But, why would this "Properly Implemented" AA be "calling home" ?... Usage stats ? or ?
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR edits: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
Tapir
VIP

Post by Tapir » September 10th, 2023, 2:49 pm

@JHTrucker:
No, I use no beta version. This one:
uset g_game_version "1.48.1.1006"

Conclusion: This "thing" I don`t need.

humpwheat
PPM

Post by humpwheat » September 10th, 2023, 3:34 pm

JHTrucker wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 2:10 pm
@humpwheat - Perhaps your first post should have just been a link to the SCS forum post where the creator is providing help and updates to the feedback given.
Fair point. I considered adding one, but there is already a link to his page, which links to his thread. I tested it and it worked ok for me. I went back to the NPI method though, as I get higher frame-rates.
Tapir
VIP

Post by Tapir » September 10th, 2023, 4:00 pm

humpwheat wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 3:34 pm
JHTrucker wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 2:10 pm
Fair point. I considered adding one, but there is already a link to his page, which links to his thread. I tested it and it worked ok for me. I went back to the NPI method though, as I get higher frame-rates.
Welcome to NPI . JHTrucker and Bengan provided the best way. :grin: :grin:

JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » September 13th, 2023, 5:44 pm

I think this TAA will become the number 1 choice for AA in these games until SCS finally does something about it, soon?
The requirements will prevent some of us from using it, 'always on' internet connection (not disclosed), windows 10/11 and a specific game version. I'm sure those requirements may change once TAA becomes stable/complete.

Regarding NPI, you should remember than BanganJ started the DX11 NPI topic in order to try and get back the AA we all used for years under DX9, that SCS prevented once it dropped DX9 in 1.36. Most people said that MSAA was't supported in DX11 and thus we'd never have a good quality AA from 1.36 onwards... I'm happy to have played my part to help prove those people wrong. DX11 NPI AA has been working, and still is, for the past three and a half years.
My only disappointment is not knowing how many times the 'step 2' files have been downloaded, to help give an idea of popularity.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR edits: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
User 797

Post by User 797 » September 15th, 2023, 4:23 am

I've already tried using NPI on my 1650 and it never worked. The TAA method worked so perfectly that I couldn't believe it. I was excited, I signed up on Patreon to help the developer. Then I discovered that the dll connects to the internet and without that it doesn't work. I contacted the dev and questioned him. The answer was that it is for feedback!!!??? Well, you should make this optional. So I tried to track the IP where it connects and I arrived at a website considered dangerous. I returned to discouragement again. But what makes me most angry is that a totally unknown programmer manages to do something that actually worked with SCS' years-old problem and why SCS doesn't implement this? I conclude that the SCS dev team has stopped in time. They haven't updated themselves, they haven't studied anything... Don't they know how to do what a stranger did? And worst of all, it ends up leaving people in the hands of tools that may be unsafe. This is a lot of incompetence on the part of SCS. A great game, with great graphics, but only if you sit still. When the truck starts moving it looks horrible. Mainly from the cabin. It really is discouraging.