[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
BenganJ

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by BenganJ » July 17th, 2020, 11:13 am

@yiannis

I agree, same here! Which doesn't mean we won't try and find a better solution!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
killingjoke

Post by killingjoke » July 17th, 2020, 12:41 pm

I love SSAO, makes the game look a fair bit more realsttic. I prefer this over the NPI AA settings turned on. I run the game in 3600 DSR resolition with 300% scaling, looks nearly as good as the NPI AA settings, but it way more taxing on the hardware. So NPI with SCS SSAo would be ideal.
Too bad that the drawing distane is still not improved. If they do I guess they have to rework all the maps?
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » July 17th, 2020, 2:27 pm

When scs said 1.38 was going to be a big graphics update, the players took that as lots of new stuff/effects etc but scs actually meant a big graphics update "for them" all the 3D models had to be changed.

Also, as SCS have said they removed all fake shading from the 3D models... that means with no SSAO the image is worse than 1.37 and below for players that can't run with SSAO on in the first place.

Remember, NPI AA reduces or removes shimmering and flickering as well as adding good AA. Does scaling do that? No.

I've tested SSAO to see what the problem is and SSAO doesn't work when i have NPI override. Set to app control and i see SSAO.
I can't goto Utah, i just started a new profile and picked burns and my first truck was next a building.
Here some fuzzy shadows appeared around metal beams attached to the outside of the building with NPI app control. SSAO High.
Tried lots of other AA bits that work (for AA) but no difference with SSAO currently.
To use in game SSAO it will almost certainly be another AA bit to find as i suspect the SSAO layer is wiped out by NPI AA bit.
Just like early Feb with rain in cab, sun shafts penetration and broken mirrors... the AA bit reorders the way the image is layered, i think.
For example, it was raining in cab because that was the last layer to be added to the image when using the AA bit at that date.
Put rain on first and then draw truck cab layer over that, fixes it. Current AA bit.
So, not a quick fix... because the AA bit is an unknown, lots of trial and error guessing, for me at least.
It's the same for multi's also. Hoped it worked then i could have made a new single multimon to fix it!
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR Driving Enhancements: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm

@JHTrucker

I really think you're right there. I have also done AA bit test, but started to just keep
all settings in NPI, but reset the AA bits totally, all zeros. Then I got NO AO at all, not
from NPI, nor from SCS SSAO! So, a new bit pattern might be needed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BushPilot

Post by BushPilot » July 17th, 2020, 4:49 pm

I forgot to change horizontal resolution in Surround from bezel corrected setting of 5940 to 5760. I use the bezel corrected setting for Flight Sim and other games. Also, changed from r_synch "1" to r_synch "2" in the config file, replaced the multimon_config with the download file for triple mons, and found a mod that was messing up the background. Now running V1.38 with no visual problems on my triple setup and I got the new Idaho DLC.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm

@BushPilot

Nice!
yiannis

Post by yiannis » July 17th, 2020, 5:16 pm

JHTrucker wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:27 pm
When scs said 1.38 was going to be a big graphics update, the players took that as lots of new stuff/effects etc but scs actually meant a big graphics update "for them" all the 3D models had to be changed.
I wasn't expecting any new stuff, but when the house is burning (aliasing, draw distance, light going through stuff, lod popping) you try to put the fire out, you don't build a swimming pool (SSAO) or whatever. The same thing happened with the map. I am very grateful of course that we got Corsica, but it would have been a million times better to finish with the old Germany first which is in the middle of Europe and you pass through all the time, rather than build an island in some corner of the map. Don't get me wrong, I like SCS and I support them, but some decisions look a bit weird to me sometimes. Sorry for the off-topic, but I just wanted to set some things straight..
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 17th, 2020, 5:22 pm

@yiannis

You're not alone with those opinions I can assure you! Sometimes I wonder
if it's ONLY the money they are after. But, as a whole, I really like what they
have done during the years. I have run all their trucksim games, so I can see
and appreciate the difference!
yiannis

Post by yiannis » July 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm

No, it's not the money they are after. Otherwise they would definitely charge for the new trucks and the old map rebuild. It's just that some decisions are wrong or they may seem wrong to us but they make sense to SCS for internal work organization reasons..
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm

@yiannis

It's just that it makes you wonder why they went from a lousy MLAA to a lousy SMAA, to
me that makes NO sense at all! Lack of competence, I don't think so, lack of resources
like time to invest in it, I don't know?