[DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Make your game even better
BenganJ

Re: [DX11] Help regarding Nvidia Profile Inspector (NPI)

Post by BenganJ » March 29th, 2021, 11:22 am

I've said it before, SCS could have used their resources on better things, like implementing a PROPER AA,
multicore support and more. What they have done could easily have been left to those modders that deal
with skyboxes, ReShade presets or Freestyle settings. For me they have ruined the games.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
RunnyPilot

Post by RunnyPilot » March 29th, 2021, 2:15 pm

I really wish they could change the engine to Unreal Engine. Not only does it have a lot of support, but it also has Nvidia's Pathtraced Audio Engine that works better than FMOD. TAA, Raytracing features, proper physics etc.

In my opinion, Unreal Engine 4 (if done right) could be the best example to use for proper support on anything, especially trucking sims. If only SCS doesn't limit to users who still have a Pentium.

And I'm pretty sure that if the developers know what they're doing, it shouldn't take them too long to transfer the entire game into Unreal Engine. Sure, they need to replace pretty much EVERYTHING, which would take at least 2 years maybe, but God damn it would work much better than their grandma engine.

Just my opinion of course and noting that I have almost no idea how game development works nor how long it really takes but I do understand that things need polishing.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » March 29th, 2021, 2:22 pm

@RunnyPilot

I agree, SCS ought to come out of that "adding post processing stuff to get the game look better" scheme,
doing some real stuff. If that is to switch engine or reworking the one they've got, that's up to them to
decide. I'm soooo tired of these pseudo enhancements they've released lately, SMAA, SSAO and now the
NEW LIGHTING SYSTEM, yikes!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrPapaBear
PPM

Post by MrPapaBear » March 29th, 2021, 3:09 pm

I think that the new lightning has two sides. Was it necessary and the best step to apply a make up band aid to the Game. No not at all. But i wanna just go trough some of my thinking from Posts her.

I said it before and I say it again, a engine change and even if it could be done in a short time frame is not a option, this would ruin the Company's income. The Company SCS is even if its a surprise not running this because they love Truck Sims, even if that's maybe a small part of the picture. But let's say its really to there heart they still need to cover all the costs, and with a Engine change this want happen.

I think they are testing and pushing the limits of there Engine, if you are closely following there Comments in Blog Posts, Videos and so on then you see I am not so far off. So to sum it up, there main comment about the lightning was this: "We thought we make some small changes, then we realized we need to make more changes. After this we needed to find the balance on what we wanted and what the Engine was giving us". What I am getting at is that SCS knows the Engines limitations but like with or PC's at home, sometimes you make a tiny change and go down a rabbit hole, discovering that one change a few years back is not working anymore. Then u take this change out and boom the System now has the freedom for some other improvements.

In my opinion like i said its all about testing limitations and what can be done, in the limited time and the least damage to the base system(there Engine). They started testing there limits on Sound with Fmod, and now with the lightning. Because not many people are complaining, i would assume they look at there list and see what they can test next. This want be now it will take some patches to get the lightning in that sweet spot but then mark my words they test the next limitations.

I am not sure that I want SCS to test the limitations on multi-core or Antializing, and then on the other hand i rather have them test there limitation on multi core support then on Antialzing.

But Papa Bear why would you say that?

Well SCS going down the rabbit hole of multi core support already would be painful, that's allot of limitations they would press. What would cause allot of Errors for some time. Every System is different and this would change allot of the way the Game handles everything, so we would go from bad to good running game and not supported mods almost daily. Just think about it if your old enough how the implantation of multi core looked when it started to be used in Games, and Web browser's it was a hot mess. All in all it would be hard but somehow manageable, for the community and mod creators to get trough.

On the other Hand antializing, oh no don't get me started. Is anyone her really believing that with how the Engine is handling Antializing now, we really want SCS to mess in that part of the Engine. If you read this Forum Bengan and all the others that came up and testing this Antializing Trick outside the Game, are saying it over and over. The IN game solution takes a hard hit on the System, now if Scs implements new and "better" AA what do you think would happen with this already big hit to the System and in conclusion the Engine? Also what would happen to our beloved Solution with changes to that System?

The new lightning is like the FMOD Support a Band Aid with make up, it makes things look better or Sound better and even not completely necessary the smallest step SCS could use to test limitations in Sound and Graphic. Now that they got this started they will work out the kinks and failures to the best of there knowledge, after that they have at least a clearer picture what the Engine can be pushed too. From there we will se what they do with the new knowledge- if anything.

Sorry Bengan :offtopic: :jester:
Last edited by MrPapaBear on March 29th, 2021, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » March 29th, 2021, 3:25 pm

@MrPapaBear

Please my friend, can you format your posts so as it will be a bit easier to digest what you're writing?
YeOldeSeaCaptain

Post by YeOldeSeaCaptain » March 29th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. :grin:

@BenganJ - thank you for your effort in putting this topic together and providing great insight into tweaks. I deeply appreciate it!

Now on to my question: I've done all the tweaks here and have been playing the game with NPI enabled for well over a year. Now I'm back playing ATS and I'm running into an issue that is bothering me. Objects within a few meters of my truck look great. Crystal clear, no issues. But distant lines and shadows are flickering and incredibly distracting. I've learned to deal with it but if there are solutions, I'll take them. Also, I'm not sure if I've reached the apex of what I can tweak. But I'll take any advice.

Here is a video of me driving. Notice distant lines - distant shadows, road lines 20 meters in front of my truck, lines on curves/bends, house roofs, etc. Their either waving or flickering until I get near. (At :40s you see me driving towards a house. Notice the roof and the curve in the road (edges of road) leading up to it).

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
32768MB RAM
DX12
1920 x 1080 (144hz) monitor (GFORCE)

Here are the settings I'm working it (Note: I play ATS on one monitor but I have a dual monitor set up. The second monitor is for work/non-gaming):

Any help or advice would be recommended. Thank you!
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » March 29th, 2021, 7:18 pm

@YeOldeSeaCaptain

Okay, I will dive into this info a bit later when I got the time, so stay tuned.
JHTrucker or someone else here might even give you an answer before me.
YeOldeSeaCaptain

Post by YeOldeSeaCaptain » March 29th, 2021, 8:06 pm

@BenganJ
I appreciate it.
MrPapaBear
PPM

Post by MrPapaBear » March 29th, 2021, 8:31 pm

You got SSAO on this is not recommended, I believe. The reflection scaling is still up to be discovered it could be that it want work with AA on 200%, we have to see. In NPI I would look over the Number 2 Settings Sync and Refresh, because why use the in-game one and then have settings there, disable the in-game one and set it up in NPI with the settings recommended her. And then in the Nvidia Control Panel under the Game settings you forgot the Image Sharpening at least I think so, it should be Sharpen 0.60 and ignore film grain 0.17. Thats what i see lets see what JHTrucker and Bengan can find.
YeOldeSeaCaptain

Post by YeOldeSeaCaptain » March 29th, 2021, 10:18 pm

Thanks @MrPapaBear. I did miss the sharpening. I've applied that now. If only that was the problem!

For all - I made two additional videos that highlight a bit better what I'm dealing with. Again, not sure if this what you all see in your games as well, but if not, any insight would be greatly appreciated! I list all of my settings in a few posts above.

Shimmering Shadows - Shadows go nuts when I drive up to them. Drives me bonkers!

Fine Lines - Did this on my test profile. Notice the truck model and background assets as the camera rotates. I circled offenders with my mouse.