Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. First post Updated 22/03/2024

Make your game even better
pinapari
PPM

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 02/08/2020

Post by pinapari » August 20th, 2020, 8:01 pm

this is probably off the subject of control.sii changes (feel free to remove it if its not appropriate to this thread)
but is there any customization of external cameras possible? Specifically, I really want to jump to the hitch on my rigid tandem truck when connecting the wagon, or jump to the trailer landing gear crank when hooking up a trailer.
BenganJ

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 02/08/2020

Post by BenganJ » August 20th, 2020, 8:06 pm

@pinapari

We never remove things that might be a bit off-topic, sometimes
we move the post(s) to a more proper topic. So, here you never
have to excuse yourself for posting, just post!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » August 21st, 2020, 4:14 pm

@pinapari & BenganJ
I've been playing with the idea of walking around your truck and trailer using head tracking only... so it should be possible to walk to the place you want to look at and then press hitch trailer button etc.

My idea was for getting out to look at the parking area when you just can't see from within cab but don't want to use external cameras... keep it real.

It does work currently but it's not quiet ideal because of the way the movement works.

You get out and are stood next to drivers door looking straight back down your trailer length.
You walk forward by leaning towards your monitor.
You step left/right by moving your head left/right.
You look left/right by turning your head left/right.
All good so far.
But you never/can't turn your body left/right. So you don't move forward in the direction you are looking when you look left/right.
So if you look 90 degrees left and lean forward you will appear to move right. So you need to move your head left to move forwards at that point.

For example:
As standard the game lets you move sideways left/right in cab a small amount. Left for left and right for right.
Put you head out of the window so you are looking straight back and then your left is right and right is left.
It's the same thing here.
EDIT: After enabling "Trueview" in my trackir software the above issue is resolved!

So, to walk around your truck is possible with this current limitation. If you want to look down the other side you lean back to walk backwards and then sideways to pass in front of your truck and then lean forward.
Re-centering your head will set you back at the drivers door.
Objects are not solid, so you can pass though them.
It's easy enough to get used to it with a bit of practice and a steady head movement.

If you want to test i'll add a WIP instruction that should work with my VR/Tobbi/TIR, TIR Option 1 & standard TIR but not TIR Option 7...because of g_cam. I just need to finish off and test a bit more first.
Last edited by JHTrucker on August 29th, 2020, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR edits: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
pinapari
PPM

Post by pinapari » August 22nd, 2020, 4:07 am

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to look into it!

I’d love to try it and see if I can get a feel for it
Please let me know how I can help

Edit: asking because I am curious. Is there no way to make coordinate based adjustment or similar to the existing external cameras? To me that would be great. I know it’s a fixed perspective but if I could set the view I want, it would be enough.

I haven’t tried the walking around Views before though. Even given the restrictions on how the position is fixed it sounds promising.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » August 22nd, 2020, 5:42 pm

@pinapari - You could make a mod and edit bumper cam / roof cam with x,y,z coords changes to look at the area you want that camera to look at. Driving seat is 0,0,0.
Then when you press attach make that change camera to bumper cam etc like i did for refueling.
I haven't looked or tried those.

I'll post my "walk around" today or tomorrow, all the mechanics are in place and it works ok, just want to tweak the walk motion a bit more and write up the instruction.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » August 23rd, 2020, 8:11 pm

WIP - Walk around your truck & trailer using head tracking only. For game version 1.38 & 1.39
"Consider this as an experimental work in progress"
"It's feels a bit like riding a unicycle, practice is required"
Note: This may not be suitable for VR users but should still work if you really want to test it.

UPDATE 24/08/2020: Removed the need for you to add your "walk button" in lines 173/187/254/256. Now just line 177 is all you need to edit with your walk button. Added info to increase "walking" movement if required.
UPDATE 26/08/2020: TRACKIR Window block Option 7 and mod cam 5 v2 added.
UPDATE 30/08/2020: Fixed "VR-Tobii Eye-TIR" lines 254 & 256 to work for Tobii Eye outside. Added an alternative way to control this at the bottom of the post.
UPDATE 03/09/2020: Added line 253 to tweak section for head roll movement in "walking" only, if required.
UPDATE 13/09/2020: Mod now V3. Fixed W900 (the only truck in ATS & ETS2 that has it's own cam5 file).

=====================================

UPDATE 22/03/2022: A better/simpler way to do this, look here: https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 312#p50312

Use 'TrackIR Driving Enhancements' instead: https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 457#p46457

=====================================

First off, this does require a minor edit to 1 file, cam 5 (window_basic.sui), and therefore a mod to go with this controls.sii file edit. Sorry i broke my no mods rule! But mods are usually self contained with no game edits required by the user and therefore best kept in the mods section.

This is an attempt to keep things real by not using the standard external camera views, no fiddling with dev cam, mouse and keyboard (although you may prefer this way), whilst enabling a basic ability to move around outside the truck.
The idea is to transition from driving view to stood outside to walking around and back into cab all with just head tracking and a "walk" button".
Remember, this is a driving sim and not a walking sim. Your expectations should not be too high!
Keyboard keys and mouse can't be used to move around like a first person shooter whilst head tracking is enabled.

Backing up your trailer into a tight spot and need a better look? Get out and "walk over" to have a closer look, get back in.

Attach your trailer. Backup your truck to trailer, get out and walk over to the crank handle and press your attach button. Watch the handle turn then get back in. Do the same to detach.

Refueling. Stop at fuel pump, get out and fill up.

You get the idea. Movement is approx 20m forward / backward & 20m left / right.
Typically that allows me to get out and walk the length of a long trailer and look at the number plate on the rear.

You can use this with the standard game head tracking configuration.
Or with my VR/Tobii Eye/TIR basic window block. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 705#p25705
Or with my TRACKIR closed window block option 7. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 250#p19250
Note, my refueling view isn't required when using this, as it's now basically incorporated. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 745#p24745

You need a new button for "walk".
Head tracking must have at least yaw, pitch, x & z axis enabled.
Note: Tobii Eye users don't need to use "Enable Position - Experimental" from the Tobii Eye menu if they don't like the extra movement it gives in cab (x, y & z) because i've forced x & z to be used when "walking" regardless of that menu option.

How it works:
When sat in your cab (cam 1) quick press "walk" button. You are now stood outside your drivers door and can look around on the spot.
For best results, once outside, press "re-center head tracking" button before "walking".
Press and hold "walk" button to enable head tracking "walking".
You walk forward by leaning towards your monitor.
You walk backwards by leaning away from your monitor.
You step left/right by moving your head left/right.
You look left/right by turning your head left/right.
If you stop pressing "walk" button you will jump back to outside your drivers door.
You can't turn around easily, it takes a lot of getting used to, this is a WIP or the best i can do? You may want to wait for SCS to allow their walk mode outside of the garage... 1.40?
Re-centering your head will also set you back at the drivers door.
To get back in, walk back (backwards) to drivers door and let go of "walk" button, turn to truck door and look far up, you are now back in the cab.

Try not to move around too quickly (steady head) or you may feel sick.
There's no collision enabled so try not to walk through things.
My 15 year old TrackIR 3 software has a tick box for "Trueview" (never been ticked until now) which enables you to zoom (z axis) in the direction you are looking when leaning forward, this really helps as without it you only zoom straight ahead and "walking" is then tricky at best.
Newer head tracking devices / software may already have something like this enabled by default.

If you're at a fuel pump, quick press "walk" button to get out and stand next to door then "activate" (or use your fuel button) to fill up in the usual way. Then look at door and look up to get back in. You can still use my original refueling edit with this if you want but it's not really needed now with this setup.

Here are the required controls.sii file edits.
Line numbers correct for game version 1.38 & 1.39 - Tested with ATS & ETS2.

Backup your controls.sii file first, just in case you don't like this.

Choose a button for "WALK". I use a button on my G27 wheel joy.b22?0 (right bottom wheel button) but you can use a keyboard key if required (spacebar keyboard.space?0 for example). You don't want to be stretching or turning your head to look for and press buttons when you are controlling your walking view with your head.

You need to replace my joy.b22?0 "WALK" button with your chosen button.
If you don't know the name of the button you want to use, set that button to "horn" in game and then look in controls.sii for horn.
config_lines[286]: "mix horn `joy.b22?0 | semantical.horn?0`"
You can now copy your button name (joy.b22?0) to line 177 as i've highlighted mine.
Then, in game, set your actual horn button back as you had it or you'll keep hearing it when walking!

For ease, just copy the whole line as required.
For your info: The highlighted parts are all i added to my original lines and the SCS original lines for this to work.

If you use my head "camzoom" edit then you need to update line 187 to prevent zooming while walking.

TRACKIR only:
config_lines[187]: "mix camzoom `keyboard.lshift?0 & keyboard.z?0 | -trackir.device.position.z?0 * 1.3 & ! cam5`"

Tobii Eye only:
config_lines[187]: "mix camzoom `keyboard.lshift?0 & keyboard.z?0 | -eye_track.head_position.z?0 * 1.3 & ! cam5`"

Required camera view edits for all:
config_lines[173]: "mix cam1 `keyboard.key1?0 | trackir.device.position.pitch?0 * 1.5 & ! cam5 | eye_track.head_position.pitch?0 * 1.5 & ! cam5 | hmd.device.position.pitch?0 * 1.5 & ! cam5 | semantical.cam1?0`"
If you have trouble getting back in cab (look far up), then you can increase the highlighted value to decrease how far up you must look.
Try 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0

config_lines[177]: "mix cam5 `keyboard.key5?0 | joy.b22?0 | semantical.cam5?0`" <---Add your "WALK" button.

Now choose only the line edits that match your current setup from the 4 options below:

SCS head tracking game defaults 1.38 & 1.39
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `(((sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0), -0.1, 0.1) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `(((sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

My VR-Tobii Eye-TIR Basic window block for 1.38 & 1.39 (LHD Trucks only)
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `(((sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + eye_track.head_position.x?0 + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((pow(-0.975 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + -abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on, 2) + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0), -0.1 + (headtryaw * 0.1) * c_ht_on, 0.8)) * ! cam5)`"

config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `(((sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + eye_track.head_position.z?0 + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((0.1 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + -abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0), -0.35, 0.05)) * ! cam5)`"

My VR-Tobii Eye-TIR Basic window block for 1.38 & 1.39 (RHD Trucks only)
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `(((sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + eye_track.head_position.x?0 + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((pow(-0.975 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on, 2) + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0), -0.8, 0.1 + (headtryaw * 0.1) * c_ht_on)) * ! cam5)`"

config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `(((sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + eye_track.head_position.z?0 + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((-0.1 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0), -0.35, 0.05)) * ! cam5)`"

My TRACKIR Window block Option 7 for 1.38 & 1.39
Note: Because of gcam, when you are stood outside your truck and look left or right towards the door morethan 90 degrees, the view will auto rotate (you don't need to look that far round at this point anyway), but when you are "walking" you have full control of your head movement.

config_lines[250]: "mix headtron `sign(trackiron) * sign(c_et_head) * ((trackiryaw / 2.5) + ((0.3 - c_et_yawsc / 100) - (sign(c_et_pos) * (0.3 - c_et_yawsc / 100) * 2)) + sign(trackiron)) - ((trackiryaw / 2.5) + ((0.3 - c_et_yawsc / 100)-(sign(c_et_pos) * (0.3 - c_et_yawsc / 100) * 2)) + sign(trackiron)) * sign(abs(c_ht_on - 1) + cam5) + sign(abs(c_ht_on - 1) + cam5) * sign(trackiron) * sign(c_et_head)`"

config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `(((sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + (((clamp(trackirx, -clamp(c_et_hv_res, -0.0, 0.1), c_et_hv_res) * ! c_et_pos) + (clamp(trackirx, -c_et_hv_res, clamp(c_et_hv_res, -0.0, 0.1)) * c_et_pos)) * ! cam5)`"

config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `(((sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0)) * 20) * cam5) + ((clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

Now add this required mod:
Walk Around - Cam 5 1.38v3.zip
That's it, go try it.
If it doesn't work, open the console, if you see one of the above lines in red text, you need to check that line again for a typo or a bad copy/paste. For best results just copy & paste the whole line for your current setup.

Tweaking the movement to suit you:
If you want to "walk" further then you can edit the highlighted "20" values, but be careful as the higher the value the higher your head movement sensitivity becomes.

Left/Right
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx - change 20 to 30 or 40 for example.

Forward/Backward
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz - change 20 to 30 or 40 for example.

If you want to increase or decrease pitch movement when outside only, use this line 252 and edit the highlighted "2" value to suit. 1=default, same as in cab & 2=twice as fast.
config_lines[252]: "mix headtrpitch `((sel(trackiron, trackirpitch, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdpitch, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyepospitch, 0) * 2) * cam5) + ((sel(trackiron, trackirpitch, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdpitch, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyepospitch, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

If you want to have head roll movement in walk mode without having to enable it in the driving view, then do this:
config_lines[253]: "mix headtrroll `((sel(trackiron, trackirroll, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdroll, 0) + eye_track.head_position.roll?0) * cam5) + ((sel(trackiron & c_ht_roll, trackirroll, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdroll, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposroll, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

Note: I can't test Tobii Eye so i assume the above works as stated.
"Roll axis" must be enabled in your head tracking software.

If you're a Trackir user and didn't know you can have "roll" in cab for all 6DOF, then do this:
config_lines[53]: "constant c_ht_roll 0.000000" <-- Set to "1.0" for roll & "0.0" when you don't like it.

Tobii Eye users have a tick box in the menu.

=================================================================================================

As an alternative to "walking" (if it's too hardcore for you) you can instead use this as a variable outside camera view by using your steering wheel to move forwards and backwards instead of your head.
This way you can move along the length of your truck and trailer whilst looking left/right/up/down with ease.
You start at the truck door (once you've pressed the "walk" button), looking back along your trailer, whilst pressing and holding your "walk" button, steer left moves you towards the front of the truck and steer right moves you towards the end of the trailer.
To get back in, walk back to drivers door and let go of "walk" button, turn to truck door and look far up, you are now back in the cab.

You need to have already made the correct line edits for "walking" above before changing line 256 for the correct alternative below:

SCS head tracking game defaults 1.38
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `((steering * 20) * cam5) + ((clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

My VR-Tobii Eye-TIR Basic window block for 1.38 (LHD Trucks only)
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `((steering * 20) * cam5) + ((0.1 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + -abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0), -0.35, 0.05)) * ! cam5)`"

My VR-Tobii Eye-TIR Basic window block for 1.38 (RHD Trucks only)
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `((steering * 20) * cam5) + ((-0.1 * ((headtryaw - (headtryaw * 2) + abs(headtryaw)) * 0.5) * c_ht_on + clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0), -0.35, 0.05)) * ! cam5)`"

My TRACKIR Window block Option 7 for 1.38
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `((steering * 20) * cam5) + ((clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)) * ! cam5)`"

Then change line 254 to reduce your left/right sideways movement:
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx - change 20 to 10 to 5 or 0 for example.

To increase Forward/Backward movement:
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz - change 20 to 30 or 40 for example.

=================================================================================================

Game version 1.38 controls.sii default lines should you require them:
config_lines[173]: "mix cam1 `keyboard.key1?0 | semantical.cam1?0`"
config_lines[177]: "mix cam5 `keyboard.key5?0 | semantical.cam5?0`"
config_lines[187]: "mix camzoom `semantical.camzoom?0`"
config_lines[250]: "mix headtron `c_ht_on & (trackiron | hmdon | eyeposon)`"
config_lines[252]: "mix headtrpitch `sel(trackiron, trackirpitch, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdpitch, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyepospitch, 0)`"
config_lines[253]: "mix headtrroll `sel(trackiron & c_ht_roll, trackirroll, 0) + sel(hmdon, hmdroll, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposroll, 0)`"
config_lines[254]: "mix headtrx `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirx, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposx, 0), -0.1, 0.1) + sel(hmdon, hmdx, 0)`"
config_lines[256]: "mix headtrz `clamp(sel(trackiron, trackirz, 0) + sel(eyeposon, eyeposz, 0), -0.2, 0.05) + sel(hmdon, hmdz, 0)`"

If you were using one of my window block options, then you need to re-apply those setting:
My VR/Tobii Eye/TIR basic window block. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 705#p25705
My TRACKIR closed window block option 1. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 876#p25876
My TRACKIR closed window block option 7. https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 250#p19250

Go back to the first post for the full list of what's available: https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 744#p24744
Last edited by JHTrucker on February 7th, 2023, 6:17 pm, edited 80 times in total.
pinapari
PPM

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 23/08/2020

Post by pinapari » August 24th, 2020, 5:56 am

wow! I know what I'll be trying tonight. I'll get back to you with a report later.
Thanks so much for your efforts here!
JHTrucker
Expert

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 24/08/2020

Post by JHTrucker » August 24th, 2020, 12:57 pm

@pinapari - Hope it works... that means my UPDATED instructions are ok!
pinapari
PPM

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 26/08/2020

Post by pinapari » August 28th, 2020, 4:31 pm

@JHTrucker
sorry for such a delay in getting back to you - Work has been crazy all week.

I did try to setup the walk around controls for Tobii this evening and installed the mod.
While the camera angle was changed compared to the normal cam 5 angle (due to the mod working I think) I could not get the view position to change while holding the action button and moving my head around.

I was trying to set my walk button to the spacebar - that may be an issue - not sure yet. I'll try a different button later and see if it works.
JHTrucker
Expert

Re: Controls.sii file changes to enhance the trucking experience. Updated 26/08/2020

Post by JHTrucker » August 28th, 2020, 6:40 pm

@pinapari
Yes, the mod relocates your driving head ready for walking, also makes a better refuel view even if you don't want to use this walk around.
Your line 177 should look like this:
config_lines[177]: "mix cam5 `keyboard.key5?0 | keyboard.space?0 | semantical.cam5?0`"

I've just changed my wheel button to be exactly that line and i can "walk" around when pressing and holding space bar.
You said the view changes to i guess that line is ok at your end.

EDIT: If it doesn't work, open the console, if you see one of the above lines in red text, you need to check that line again for a typo or a bad copy/paste. For best results just copy & paste the whole line for your current setup.

Perhaps just copy and paste your line edits in a reply so i can see what they look like compared to my instructions.

config_lines[173]:
config_lines[177]:
config_lines[187]:
config_lines[254]:
config_lines[256]: