World Background Maps

3rik
PPM

Re: World Background Maps

Post by 3rik » June 14th, 2020, 10:14 pm

BenganJ wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 1:20 pm
@punk

Well, who should we blame for placing EAA in the area which SCS will rescale from 1:15 to 1:19 in the UI display,
NOT THE MAP DATA itself. EAA was placed there long before SCS choose to implement that game engine rescale
of the UK area. It's ONLY a display anomaly, has NO impact on game play! Promods also get one of these anomalies
in Felixstowe! Same thing there!

Actually, the most sincere and deep wish I have in the SCS world is for EAA to be ported over to the ATS world
and relocated to it's proper location there. But that will NEVER happen! :dash1: :cool: :fie:
just imagine :dance2:
edit: i didnt realise the image was so big oops lol
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 14th, 2020, 10:27 pm

@3rik

Yep, I'm dreaming mate, nice montage though and on spot how I would like it to be! :preved: :thank_you2:
Then I would extend my ATS SAT BG so that it would include South America too! :dance2:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
iMarbot
PPM

Post by iMarbot » June 16th, 2020, 10:25 pm

I'm losing my mind over "map alignment" in settings. I don't know if this mod is the cause of this but I don't know a better place to ask. Prior to v1.4 the "Always North" and "North Locked" would almost never work and it would just show flat except once in a blue moon (but it was correct North in the very few cases it worked). Since v1.4, "Always North" seems to work partially but not really. The map is shown as a round sphere like it is in reality but its not North at the top but North-East (screenshot below). This happens wherever I am on the map, e.g. in London or somewhere in ROS. I don't know what's wrong or how to even work out what it could be :(

BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm

@iMarbot

Interesting mate! I've heard about it, but NEVER had that phenomenon myself. Questions.
1. You have the SAT BG at the very TOP of Mod Manager?
2. And as you say Map alignment at Always North?
If you attempt to move the map up to the North Pole, it WILL flip, but that's obviously NOT
what you experience here. If you answer the two questions by 'Yes', then please, post your
latest game log after you have the phenomenon in place!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iMarbot
PPM

Post by iMarbot » June 16th, 2020, 10:40 pm

BenganJ wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm
@iMarbot

Interesting mate! I've heard about it, but NEVER had that phenomenon myself. Questions.
1. You have the SAT BG at the very TOP of Mod Manager?
2. And as you say Map alignment at Always North?
If you attempt to move the map up to the North Pole, it WILL flip, but that's obviously NOT
what you experience here. If you answer the two questions by 'Yes', then please, post your
latest game log after you have the phenomenon in place!
Answer to both questions is yes. Game log: https://privatebin.net/?14f77891bb386e1 ... 6HrtvW4SFV

I did a bit more moving around the map and the map seems to think "North" (North pole) is roughly here

BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 16th, 2020, 10:49 pm

@iMarbot

Mate, after I posted the answer I took a look at your image and tried to find you anywhere there.
Why? Because, "Always north" is what you get when you draw a line from where you are, the "center
of everything" to the North Pole. So, if you are somewhere out in the eastern part of ROS and have the
SAT BG centered where you are, you will have the North Pole straight upwards, but moving the center
of the SAT BG to UK you will get this circle type of movement. The exact same thing will also happen
when you are located in the center of Europe and move eastwards towards Japan. Think of the North
Pole always located strait upwards from the upper screen center.

EDIT: It has to do with the fact that the map projection used is on a cone with it's top right above the
North Pole. That is the reason you get this exaggerated circle type of movement!
iMarbot
PPM

Post by iMarbot » June 16th, 2020, 10:53 pm

BenganJ wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 10:49 pm
@iMarbot

Mate, after I posted the answer I took a look at your image and tried to find you anywhere there.
Why? Because, "Always north" is what you get when you draw a line from where you are, the "center
of everything" to the North Pole. So, if you are somewhere out in the eastern part of ROS and have the
SAT BG centered where you are, you will have the North Pole straight upwards, but moving the center
of the SAT BG to UK you will get this circle type of movement. The exact same thing will also happen
when you are located in the center of Europe and move eastwards towards Japan. Think of the North
Pole always located strait upwards from the upper screen center.
What you describe is "North locked" not "Always North", I am pretty sure. Anyway here in ROS where I am it is even worse. (Map thinks "North" is real life East, towards that place in China that I sent you before)

BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm

@iMarbot

Yes, that should not be the way to display the map. Question. As ROS has data very high up North,
do you get this phenomena without ROS too?
iMarbot
PPM

Post by iMarbot » June 16th, 2020, 11:01 pm

BenganJ wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm
@iMarbot

Yes, that should not be the way to display the map. Question. As ROS has data very high up North,
do you get this phenomena without ROS too?
Here is a video of what I mean about location of North Pole, will test without ROS now.

BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » June 16th, 2020, 11:04 pm

@iMarbot

Yep that fast flipping rotation you will get when too high up north!