DX11 strange "rubber banding" effect during driving - possible solution.

Make your game even better
Sansemiano
PPM

Re: DX11 strange "rubber banding" effect during driving - possible solution.

Post by Sansemiano » July 17th, 2020, 5:34 pm

@BenganJ: And back again. Have been working in the garden. The GPU load is high. Constantly 97% to 100%. I tried framerate-limiters, but it degrades the experience, when panning and passing road-signs at high speed. I agree the game itself does not need 120 fps.

@JHTrucker: I have vsync at 0 in config.cfg. I will experiment with the vsync setting in NPI with settings like 1/2 or 1/4 refresh rate. However in an adaptive sync system there is no fixed refresh rate. It varies between with the present graphic settings between lets say 70 fps and 140 fps depending on the scenery. So does that vsync fit to an adaptive sync system? Adaptive sync was invented to get rid of vsync and it's drawbacks.
Sansemiano
PPM

Post by Sansemiano » July 17th, 2020, 5:56 pm

@JHTrucker: Tried vsync 1/4 refresh rate: 36 fps. horrible: lagging mouse and stuttery panning. Also tried 1/2 refresh rate: 72 fps. Better than 36 fps, but waaay worse than with vsync off and giving freesync all freedom as intended.

Edit: By itself there is no problem with switching on more graphic goodies. It just results in lower fps values. The adaptive sync system adapts automatically. Preventing problems with framerates below the sync-range gives an incentive to lower certain graphic settings. But that would be the case then too in a vsync-setup with a limit on the framerate. There is only so much power in the GPU.
Sansemiano
PPM

Post by Sansemiano » July 18th, 2020, 12:23 am

And then the final question:

Why should i want to decrease the load on the GPU? Better get the max out of it and freesync makes sure it happens smooth. A GPU is GPU. If it doesn't like to work hard it should not have become a GPU.

The game really looks much better at 140 FPS. At 30 fps the truck works fine of course, but all sorts of rapid movements show severe stutter. Not nice.

Vsync is an outdated technique. And should not be combined with adaptive sync. Doing that is a contradiction.
JHTrucker
Expert

Post by JHTrucker » July 18th, 2020, 1:38 am

@Sansemiano
For me, i prefer lower gpu usage ~60-70% so when i enter a more demanding area the gpu can work harder to maintain my 30 fps and doesn't stutter of drop below it because it has the extra capacity when needed.
I guess that's my 10+ year old vsync monitors compared to gsync/freesync that seemingly don't like lower fps.
But i wouldn't be happy with a system far better than mine if it stuttered when panning, that's just wrong.
But what you describe is what clear F1 had shown in his video a few pages back and he's happy now after making changes. But he has a gsync monitor.
If you're happy with your setup running flat out all the time then that's fine, As i've never had a gsync or freesync monitor i can't tell you what to do as i don't know... just guesses based on my own experience with vsync.

I see people in scs forum complaining about fps drops from 140+ to 80 and i just think cap it below 80 then you won't see the drops because they won't be any.

But yes, if i could run 60, i'd run 60, but i can't, so i don't sweat about high fps and just enjoy the drive.
multimon_config.sii files: viewtopic.php?p=17658#p17658
controls.sii edits: viewtopic.php?p=24744#p24744
TrackIR edits: viewtopic.php?p=46613#p46613
Extra Cameras: viewtopic.php?p=46034#p46034
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 18th, 2020, 1:46 am

@Sansemiano

There's another thing to consider in this case. The higher load on the GPU, the higher temperature,
the more fan activity and all this will wear the hardware much more and reduce lifetime. But if you
are damn rich, you can probably ignore that and buy new graphic cards more frequently! :big_boss: :mail1: :drinks:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790@
Memory: 16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1660Ti
Sansemiano
PPM

Post by Sansemiano » July 18th, 2020, 9:30 am

@JHTrucker: Those frame-drops happen in my setup too, but you don't notice them because of the sync-mechanism and as long as they happen within the sync-range. Only noticeable when shown on the screen with RivaTuner and MSI Afterburner. The techniques around vsync settings you guys propose are fine for older hardware. Nothing wrong with them then.

@BenganJ: True, the system is thermally more stressed, when running at 100%. Power consumption is higher too. Lifetime will be reduced too, but by the time that will become a problem games will be unplayable anyway because of much higher demands on the GPU.
clear F1
VIP

Post by clear F1 » July 18th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I tested it all day today, and when gsync is turned off, it repeats the behavior that seems to have stopped momentarily.
why?
144Hz Vertical Sync 1/2 to 1/4, 120Hz 1/2 to 1/4, 100Hz 1/2 to 1/3
I tested it in. For each test, t_averaging_window_length in config.cfg is doubled.
All with the same result, the frames seem to fly more when they stop when they turn.
Intel i9-10850K OC 5GHz
Asus PRIME Z490-A
G.Skill DDR4-3600 32GB
MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G
Samsung SSD m.2 x2
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 18th, 2020, 4:19 pm

@clear F1

Am I interpreting you correctly when I say that according to you,
the best synchronization scheme is through G-Sync? If that is the
case, you should obviously use that and nothing else.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
clear F1
VIP

Post by clear F1 » July 18th, 2020, 4:58 pm

The movement is now smooth, but it splits to stop for a moment. Try changing the settings without using Vsync.
Intel i9-10850K OC 5GHz
Asus PRIME Z490-A
G.Skill DDR4-3600 32GB
MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G
Samsung SSD m.2 x2
BenganJ

Post by BenganJ » July 18th, 2020, 5:22 pm

@clear F1

Okay, report result later!