[GUIDE] Finding the Mathematically Correct FOV & Multimon Settings For ANY Monitor Setup

Make your game even better
a1337cookie

Re: Finding the Mathematically Correct FOV & Multimon Settings For ANY Monitor Setup

Post by a1337cookie » August 9th, 2021, 2:39 am

Update 7: Altered name of topic to be more descriptive. Reorganized sections and adjusted wording to fit. Minor change to formula in non-perpendicular multi-view section to reduce complexity.

The main post has gotten extremely long, so I decided to move some of the more complex sections to their own posts to free up space. Hopefully it will be easier to find stuff.
a1337cookie

Re: Finding the Mathematically Correct FOV & Multimon Settings For ANY Monitor Setup

Post by a1337cookie » September 16th, 2021, 4:49 am

Minor update: Fixed a flaw in a formula that was overlooked. Related diagrams updated to include more appropriate variables.

Explanation: I found a problem with the way I was calculating the FOV of non-perpendicular monitors. Simply put, the method I was using previously only worked if the monitor was angled more outwards, i.e. closer to a parallel setup. It would fail (give the incorrect numbers) if the monitor was angled more inwards, to create a more boxed-in setup. The changes affect the non-perpendicular multi-view and the universal formula sections. Unfortunately, it has made calculations a bit more complex where affected, as there is an additional "IF THEN" statement now, and an additional variable to compute. I hope my mistake didn't cause too much trouble, although given how math-heavy and niche those two sections are, I'm thinking very few were affected. Anyways, for the few of you out there with box-like setups, my formulas should actually work for you now. Hopefully.
a1337cookie

Re: [GUIDE] Finding the Mathematically Correct FOV & Multimon Settings For ANY Monitor Setup

Post by a1337cookie » October 19th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Update 8: Added reference to new calculator I'm working on; will be periodically updated to give better information. My setup has since changed, so the example pictures and videos have been updated and improved. Other small wording changes and a small addition in the miscellaneous info section.